'98 Challenger 1800 pump & impeller question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jts32

So I've started digging into my new winter project and found that someone has had their little d*ck beaters into almost every part of this boat. Pulled the jet pumps off, and not only found that they are different, but also running two different impellers. One pump is brass and one is plastic. One impeller(which PO just had refinished by Skat Trak) is #204160050 and checks as original to the boat. The other impeller is #271001024 and I believe is from a GTX RFI. So, couple of questions. Are there any performance advantages to the brass pump, or more about durability. My searching has shown that the boat originally came with plastic housings, and I have an extra plastic one, but would purchase a brass one if it helps performance. Second, I remember reading something about others using GTX RFI impellers as an upgrade to the originals(can't find that info anywhere now). I need to purchase an impeller so I have a matching set, so do I go with the factory 1800 impeller, or the RFI? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I have both brass and plastic pumps for my sportster. As you've probably noticed plastic pumps are much more "open" as the center housing is smaller and they have less spokes. I can't tell a difference in performance though. It's much easier to get a new wear ring into a plastic pump.

On my boat solas concord props help hook-up and getting on plane but no difference on top speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back