Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

broknk

97 SPX Help...

Hi everybody I am new to the site and am kinda stumped with this ski. I recently picked up a 1997 seadoo spx that had VTS problems which I fixed.I changed all fuel lines, rebuilt carbs, flushed all fluids and changed spark plugs. I never got the 2 beeps but I assumed the buzzer was bad because the ski has always ran great. Long story short I took the ski out this past weekend and it started up normally and ran long enough to get out on the lake and then ran like it had dirty carbs again and then just died. If I let it sit it starts for a second than dies. Now it barely wants to start at all. I checked the carbs and filters again and they are still clean. I checked the plugs and all fuses are still good. I don't know maybe week spark or mpem problems?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Try running on reserve. If it runs better, then your fuel selector valve is clogged and you will need to clean, replace, or just bypass it.

Thanks for the reply.I had another guy tell me that to so I tried to run it yesterday on reserve with know luck. I was sure hoping that was the problem. I'm starting to think this is going to be $$$.
Thanks again

OK
Check the compression, 150lbs is near perfect, but anything like 115 to 140 is OK unless you have a large difference between cylinders. That would be a problem.
Check the spark and make sure it is not a weak spark. If it has no spark or a weak spark...check all connections for corrosion...in fact, clean all connections and use dielectric grease. Pull the plug wire boots back and clip the plug wires back about 1/4 inch and reassemble.
Bypass the fuel selector valve by connecting the reserve line to the "in" and of course, the "out" to the carbs. While you are there check the fuel filter O ring and make sure it is sealing.
Check the hose going from the engine to the carb diaphram pump and make sure it is sealed good.

If the no beeps bothers you, leave the lanyard on all night and then in the morning while it is still connected push and hold the start button until it beeps. Pull the lanyard and then reinstall it you should get two beeps.

Ok I will check that stuff out tomorrow. Thanks for the help and I will post results.
Thanks again

Ok
I did what you suggested and it seemed to work. First I checked and cleaned all connections. I tried it and it seemed to get better but still would not run so I checked the compression and it was 140 and 150 psi....which I was very happy to see! The last thing I did was double check the fuel line connections and filter O ring, all looked good so I moved to the plug wires and cut off a 1/4 in. off then checked and it fired right up. I am going to put it in the water this afternoon and check it out.
I even fixed the beep problem:)

jhjesse thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back