97 xp please help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

97gsx/98gsxl

ok my brother just picked up a 97 xp the kid he bought it from said that the ski was mint big mistake not taking it for a ride first

the ski fires right up on the trailer hooked to the hose runs like a champ the compression is 130 in the front cylinder and 125 in the rear when the ski goes in the water it does not start tried starting the ski then backing it into the water on the trailer and after a couple of minutes it died pulled it out and let it drain then fired right up does anyone know where to start. what would make the ski not run in the water its like a cat scared of the water

The best place to start, would be with proper punctuation. It would make reading your post much easier.

Second... It's time for a rebuild. The compression is too low. The spec for your engine is 150 psi. At 125... it's not going to make enough power to run with a load on it.

Sorry for the bad news, but thats why we tell people to go for a test ride before buying.

i'd start with new battery, clean/replace the red cable ends and ground cable/s. Yeah, compressions' low, but acceptable. Install new plugs, clean the raves, and if anything, go thru the carbs while replacing the grey fuel lines too.

What is current (out of water) rpm ?

It "dies" even while giving it some throttle? What is your current idle rpm? (out of the water) I inadvertently lowered my idle (to about 1500/1700 rpms) while sitting here in the driveway because I "thought" man this is way to fast for idle. What I did`nt know is that about 2400 to 2600 rpms IS normal out of the water, with the water churning through there it needs to be that fast so it will idle (normally) on the lake. So there I was turning up the idle my first time out, because I turned it down when I should have left it alone. I hope your problem is as simple as an idle adjustment.

Now you don`t want it so fast that your ski is making its own wake without you giving "some" throttle. There is room for a couple hundred rpm either way here +/-

Last edited by a moderator:
my idle in the drive way with the hose hooked up is a under 2000...i think itt's at 1830 or so.... where should it be???

my idle in the drive way with the hose hooked up is a under 2000...i think itt's at 1830 or so.... where should it be???

In the driveway... it should be around 3000 RPM's. BUT... you should do the final adjustment in the water. It should be 1500 rpm's.

haha...lol...i guess being that we are talking about the idle RPM's; it would be the idle adjustment!!! i suppose:stupid:

no contrare....

yes... idle adjust screw... not your low speed mix screw.

LOW SPEED ADJUSTER
The low speed adjuster is used in conjunction with the idle stop screw to adjust and maintain idle speed and smoothness. Experiment turning the low speed adjuster in and out in small increments until a smooth idle is obtained. As the idle stop screw is turned in our out to raise or lower idle speed the low speed mixture is also affected. For clarification, if the idle stop screw is turned out to lower idle speed, this action increases manifold pressure slightly and richens the low speed mixture so that a mixture adjustment may be required. The low speed adjuster is very sensitive and adjustments should be made in small increments only.

coo homie, thanks for tha break down i play wit it a lil tomorrow... get that idle up a lil.... then off to canada!!!! see ya doo ya, i hitcha!!!

coo homie, thanks for tha break down i play wit it a lil tomorrow... get that idle up a lil.... then off to canada!!!! see ya doo ya, i hitcha!!!

f1.....u suk.:cheers: Just busted on the tunes, the Italy gp race, Hayden went down 5/6 lap....:rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back