97 xp down

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where in your manual it would be, I'm going by my 99 spx and it is in there to remove those bolts.

As for what Strizzo said, you can try that if you like, but I don't believe as I didn't have to rebuild once I pulled the jugs. I only needed a new gasket for where the jugs meets the crank, and exhaust gasket.

I think I read that the jugs are NOT even/flush across from one another? If so that is very strange and a bigger issue.

If things aren't aligned, I would imagine pulling the jugs then trying to crank it by hand it may just go. I have read as well, that the crankshaft in these can be a potential problem, or was that the 951's?! I have read so much it intermixes sometimes lol.

Post up what you decide to do/work on. I have not done as Strizzo has stated so I will be of no help, but for pulling the jugs I can help out as best I can. They aren't actually that bad to pull.

Thumper, as I recall your pistons clipped the RAVE valves, was that before or after the rebuild?

I've got a write up about pulling the mag. cover, I'll see if I can find it and post.

Lou

Thumper, as I recall your pistons clipped the RAVE valves, was that before or after the rebuild?

I've got a write up about pulling the mag. cover, I'll see if I can find it and post.

Lou

That was all before and a piece broke off which I never found and then the other one just snapped at the stem. But when examining the pistons, sleeves and such there was no sign of any damage, which is kinda weird I know, but there wasn't.

AND as for the exhaust, you don't have to take it all the way off, just take out the bolts, jug bolts, vent lines and pull. You do that, you will know for sure if you have a bigger problem. Process of elimination lol. Hopefully it is what Lou has suggested and you will be able to re-lube everything and be good to go again... best outcome!

Here's a write up I did recently re: removing the mag. cover.

There's really nothing special about removing the mag. cover except getting to the bolts and the bottom of the cover. You'll need to raise the engine about 1-1/2". Here's how I did it. I used a come-along with a nylon strap positioned under the front motor mount. I attached the come-along to a beam in the garage.

Just to be safe disconnect the battery and disconnect the plug in the mag. cover. If you need to remove the cover from the ski pinch off the oil feed, remove the main oil feed line and the two small oil injector lines. Remove the main bolt in the top of the motor mount. Lift the engine about 1-1/2" or so with the come-along. Block under the engine to keep the engine in the raised position. Lower the motor slightly and take the tension off the come-along.

Note the number of shims under the front motor mount, I also marked the position of the shim and the mount with a sharpie. Remove the front motor mount (2 bolts). You need to remove the motor mount to get to a couple of bolts at the bottom of the cover. Remove about 10ea. 10mm bolts around the mag. cover, I used a 1/4" drive and a wobble adapter, if the cover has never been removed you're gonna have trouble getting the socket to fit over the bolts, due to the thickness of the engine paint. Once you get the 10mm bolts removed the cover will come right off.

The first time a took the cover off it took 2-3 hours, but a lot of time was spent figuring out how to remove the cover. Long story short, it's not an easy job so make sure the problem you are having is actually inside the cover. Mine was not, it turned out to be the voltage regulator.

Lou

fyi you don't have to disconnect carb cables or anything, just undo it's bolts and lay it flat on the side of the machine so you can get at the bolts. Cover the holes.

it says the are 8 that i must undo but can only locate 4. i wish there were examples of doing this out there lol would the other 4 be the ones on the ravs

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there are 8, 4 per jug.
2 on each outside upper and lower of the exhaust and 2 on in the middle for each side of the exhaust, kind of where the exhaust comes together. You can't see then really a mirror helps. Just feel for them.

If it's not in your manual, you can download the one I used to get an idea of what it looks like.

lol i'm a dumbass lol just found them. i have the repair man. scrolled through and finally found them on 3-8-7 installation. guess its a good idea to know how to put it together before you take it apart lol lessoned learned lol

Lol... I did the same thing since you can't see them, why I keep saying check out the manual to give you an idea what to look for.

Remember to use it when putting it back together for sequence and torque.

You got them out? Jugs off yet?

i got those 8 bolts out from the exhaust man. but whats stopping it from coming out? it says to remove the tuned pipe as well but that is connected to the exhaust man. which was in turn bolted to the cylinders---??? so question is should the tuned pipe be removed as well

no you don't have to take off any of the exhaust. Did you remove the 4 bolts from each jug? I'm going to see if I can find that part of the manual for your ski.

yes i got the 8 in the back side and 4 per side (pic) just to make sure. is the whole unit suppose to come off or just the inner shell

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Then nothing else is holding it other than age and corrosion. Try wiggling it, or some taps with a mallet or wood and a hammer to loosen it. It will most likely rip each gasket, why I said before order them as they will have to be replaced.

Keep going till everything is apart, you got this far already. Just do a full rebuild at this point and now you can grease or use anti seize on the bolts so next time you can can get everything apart nice and easy.

Nice... take a little love tap?

So NOW try and move the crank. You can see down into the crank now, see how it looks. Can you see any kind of oil? When I got mine off they looked in really good shape.

How do the sleeves look? The pistons look dry/worn.

Is there even a ring on the MAG piston, hard to tell in the pic.

the left side one is loose soon as i let it go flops over the one on the right (near pto) is stiff but still only get a 1/4 turn on it

they should 'flop' as you say, means they are well greased and easily move. Sounds like your pto one needs to be rebuilt.

Bah... still not moving wow... you are going to have to start removing more parts now. Least the jugs are off and if they are acting like that I would think a rebuild will have to happen. I was lucky with that, mine where in great shape.

both are scored and it looks pretty dry down there.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9
I am rebuilding my 1997 XP also, if you parts I have a ton for this ski, or you can check ebay to save some money. You wont be SOL if you get on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back