97 xp 787 rotary valve prob?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbanich

I had to remove my rotary valve cover to tap stripped out carb bolt. The actual valve itself had grooves in it and a small knick on the edge (looks like it had swallowed a bolt at some time - I can see a matching knick on the pto opening on the engine block). So I replaced with a new valve, used the timing wheel, and pretty sure I got it timed correctly. When I checked the valve clearance with feeler gauge, it came up that it had too much clearance, and I can tell that the rotary valve cover has been machined before. I put it back together anyway, figured if it was running ok before then would be ok???

Now when I start it, appears to be running rich, lots more smoke than usual. Also hard to start back up when it has been running for several minutes and I turn it off. This has all been while connected to the hose in the driveway. On the lake, couldn't get it to start when warm.

I'm thinking the problem is the excessive rotary valve clearance and that I need to order a new RV cover. Thoughts??? Or is it possible I might have the valve timing off very slightly and that would cause this condition?

Also - if I do end up replacing the RV cover, was thinking about getting it from SBT - it's $150 cheaper than dealer. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Thanks!

did you replace the seal when you put the cover back on? it sounds like you have a bit too much play in the RV. I have seen people have issues with the sbt RV cover seals being too thick causing the gap to be too large. The sbt covers are fine, just the seals are an issue for some.

Just curious, does the cover wear, or the case? Or both? (my expectation). Will replacing the cover solve the issue, or will it have to be machined to make up for the wear in the case? I have a ski that has the same warm start issue and know that my RV clearance is .001" out of spec. Let us know if replacing it solves the problems. Good luck!

Thanks! I did replace the seal and got it from the dealer. I think I am going to move forward with replacing the RV cover with one from sbt. Should I use a new seal every time the RV cover is removed and installed, or would it be ok to re-use the seal?

Thanks! I did replace the seal and got it from the dealer. I think I am going to move forward with replacing the RV cover with one from sbt. Should I use a new seal every time the RV cover is removed and installed, or would it be ok to re-use the seal?

you should be ok reusing a nearly new seal as long as it doesn't get damaged in the process.

You know, some genius out there should start making rotary valves with different thicknesses :p

I've had the same problem with my GSX. At idle it shakes and emits lots of smoke as if its running very rich. Warm starting is sometimes questionable but does start after a 2-3 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back