97 gtx no spark. Any help appreciated.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 1997 gtx 787 without spark. Ive cleaned all the connections in the rear electrical box and changed the fuse but to be honest I can't guarante they are perfect (hard to get into the little connectors). I was getting two beeps initially but its since stopped (I think the beeper died). Does turn over when start button pressed. I'm hoping some one can recommend how to test the pickup or ignition coil. I would really appreciate any pointers or places to start as I'm having a hard time finding info online. I also have a multi meter but I'm not very familiar with it.

If you have the handy dandy spark tester that will go a long way. I find my skis will give me a no spark every now and then. Pulling the key and reinserting does the trick. I spent a great deal of time troubleshooting my 96 GTX last year with a no spark. Ended up being the pick up coil. There is a test for that and you don't need the special tool, just get your head in there and put the ohm meter on the correct wirers in the plug. My pick up was full of rust and metal particles. I cleaned the housing up and replaced the pick up.

I dont unfortunately. Im relatively new to this. Do you happen to know what wires I'm aiming for / what I'm looking to see on the ohm meter?

I'm having the same problem with my '99 Sea Doo GTI. No spark to the plugs. I've changed the mpem and the coil and have repaired a bad 4 prong plug. Like the above, I dont know where the pickup coil is or how to test it.

Its in the flywheel cover. I dont know the procedure but in theory if its functional you should see a voltage spike going into the ignition coil. For my 787 its the white wire.

I don't have time at the moment.. There are six wires, if memory serves. You should get the correct readings between each of the wires. The test is in the manual. They will recommend the Seadoo tool which is a plug. You'll have to get in there to test them using the meter and no special tool Took me a bit of time but I Got R Did. Then again.. just removed the cover and have a look. As mentioned mine was full of rust.

Hello, I’m new to the forums and don’t know how to start a thread. I have 97 gtx and it has so many problems. It is hard to start, then when it does start and I give it full throttle, it bogs bad. If I lean in to it , it will get on plane, but if I go past 30mph it will die. The engine was just rebuilt. The carbs were rebuilt. Fuel lines replaced. Fuel selector replaced and rave valves cleaned. Please help me. Thanks

I’m also going to check to make sure the tunes pipe clamp is on tight. I think there may be air getting into the system somewhere.

I wish you lived close to me. I love troubleshooting this stuff but I like it more when I find it. LOL

If you did not rebuild the carbs, I think it would be an excellent idea to do so. I soak mine in carb cleaner to get all the gunk softened up. Then I spray Gumout carb cleaner and air and do that till all the holes are clear. You might want to pull your jets check the numbers. I had an aftermarket in line fuel filter that did my SPI in on several outings. I pull vacuum checks on the lines. pressure tests on the lines all the way to the tank. You could have a plug in the baffle in the tank. Hope is your fuel pump working

Yeah, I’d didn’t personally rebuild them, but they were rebuilt by the guy that owned it before me which was right before I bought it. How do I do vacuum tests?

The timing is easy enough to check. You need to pull the carbs anyway to check them out. You can by a nice clear degree wheel and put it right over your rotary valve without removing it to check the timing. $10.00. :)

I better check the compression too because it won’t start. I think I need to charge the battery more. I will have to do this Thursday night though because I work tonight and have a meeting this morning. Thanks for all your help and I will let you know how it all goes.:thumbs-up:

Hello, I’m new to the forums and don’t know how to start a thread. I have 97 gtx and it has so many problems. It is hard to start, then when it does start and I give it full throttle, it bogs bad. If I lean in to it , it will get on plane, but if I go past 30mph it will die. The engine was just rebuilt. The carbs were rebuilt. Fuel lines replaced. Fuel selector replaced and rave valves cleaned. Please help me. Thanks

Bruce20, you need to get this topic on its own thread and that will help you a great deal. Moderators will help you learn to do that. There is a box at the top right of the forum page that says POST THREAD. It is orange. I had trouble as a new member getting to post threads. Contact a moderator. Also you may benefit from joining as a premium member. It costs a few $$ but is well worth the money especially if you have technical issues.

Sometimes that happens. I will talk with you. I am no guru but pretty mechanical. I must warn you, my cousin who has his own Pro auto shop is fighting a 1995 SPX and has been for a month over fuel issues. So sometimes this stuff is just difficult. As mentioned.... I put an in line filter on my SPI, something I do on almost everything I build. I like clean fuel. turns out... that filter was the very thing causing my problem. Sometimes simple sometimes... the clues can leads us down the wrong path with many twists and turns.

Yeah, I’ve figured that out already. I’m mechanical, but jet skis are just a different breed. They are really finicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back