97 GTX Lights keep flashing, no spark, turns over. HELP lol

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strokerridge92

Got the ski out for the year, hit the start button the lights flash once then keep flashing and it turns over but won't get any spark, has new coil, stator, battery, what else can it be?

Lights flashing is almost a bad connection. Can also be a bad battery. Do you have a bolt meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do, not super electrically challenged but any help would be appreciated. It has a new starter switch, this is a brand new battery that works fine in my 96, the security system comes on and flashes once like normal and then just continues to flash and the engine will crank and it gets fuel just no spark at all on either plug

Put a meter on the battery and crank it, what do the volts drop to while cranking. Then move hot wire to hot side of solenoid, same test. Then to output of solenoid, same test. Then at starter, same test. Then do it all over agin with the ground moved to the block. Post your results.

If you do at least the test to the output side of the solenoid, this will help me help you..

I'll check that, but any ideas why it would turn over but not spark? They said they tested all the power but still won't get spark.

In post #5 you say that it does NOT roll over. So does it crank (roll over) or not?

Okay let me give you the low down, the last time it was messed with it cranked but wouldn't spark, when trying it today, when you press the start button the ski beeps really loud once, the lights come on. And then go back out. But won't crank over unless you put power directly to the starter

Coastie,
Doesn't one beep mean that the MPEM cannot read the lanyard?
Maybe the wrong key??? Avatar says both 96 and 97 GTX

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the only lanyard that came with the 97, the other one doesn't have one at all. Any way to fix it or anything?
If it did lose the program, the only fix is to get it reprogrammed. This can be done with a Candoo Pro which is just under $400. Go to the dealer with the ski and lanyard and most charge right around $70 or so. Or, send the MPEM and the lanyard to [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] and he will charge you $30 (I believe).

I just pinged him, he can confirm the details as well any other thoughts.

Take a pencil eraser and clean the inside of the lanyard as well as the DESS post where it snaps onto.

If you do need to get it reprogrammed, I suggest buying a second lanyard as a back up...

And if you have a 96 without a key, then send both MPEMs to [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] and he can sell you a key and program both keys to both skis. A great setup.

Nothing you can do to bypass it.

The BEST test is to clean the lanyard and DESS, make CERTAIN the battery is good as well as the connections. By connections, I am not just talking at the battery. But at the solenoid as well as the hot wire that feeds the MPEM is on the MPEM (in most cases). Some (most 2-strokes) have a little ground wire at the battery that MUST be connected, make sure it is.

If you get one-long beep after all that, then you have lost your program. Two beeps is what you are looking for.

SO,, Connections connections connections and quality wires and a battery. Then go from there.

Okay, and I'm pretty new to ripping into these, which box is the mpem. And is it two semi quiet beeps that I'm looking for?
[MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION], where is the MPEM mounted in this ski.

Strokerridge92, until you do the other connections that I have mentioned above, don't worry about the MPEM just yet. You MUST be willing to tear into it a bit or have the money to let someone else tear into it. Until you do or have done what we suggest, you are simply wasting your time as we MUST have good information in order to get you an accurate fix.

Okay, I'll check the connections and clean the lanyard and everything. I bought it as a fixer upper so mows the time to fix it. So I will get a new battery and clean clean and clean and try again

Its not all that common but Ive seen a few lose its programming. No rhyme or reason to it. The fact it beeps though...that pretty much tells you its the key.

When its the post it doesnt even respond to the key in most cases.

Let me know if I can help with reprogramming.

Can you place a battery charger on the system without unhooking it? I thought I read that you should either not charge it whil hooked up, or not jump it off? Please advise, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back