97 GTX - HELP - History of Issues this Season

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DyingToLive

New to the forum but have been on for a bit trying to figure out what to do next with my problem 97 GTX.

Got the machine as a rash decision as the family boat went out on us last year and was looking to find something economical to drag my kid around the lake with - found one close by at a good price (first mistake) top end was rebuilt. She started, ran on the hose fine. Dropped it in the water early in the season.

1st problem - she was bogging at around 3500rpm in the water. I switched over to reserve and it ran around 6800rpm but topped out around 45mph. Figured it was the fuel selector so redid all the fuel lines and cleaned the fuel selector.

Ran on hose fine, dropped it in the water....

2nd problem - started fine and there was a random ting sound intermittently at idle and was running rough. Revd up it wasn't as pronounced. Took it out and knew right away something was up. Brought it back to the dock (luckly made it). Checked compression 150 in both cylinders. Went to start her back up and nothing. Sounded like the starter wasn't catching the flywheel. Pulled the machine out ripped off the carbs, pulled the starter out, tested it and everything was good. Checked to see the position of the flywheel and it was loose inside the housing. So pulled everything apart tightened up the flywheel put everything back together. Now the machine wouldn't start. Checked for spark and it was very weak. Figured it was as a result of the stator getting chewed up when the flywheel was loose. So I Replaced the stator, checked/cleaned all grounds, now I'm receiving great spark. Still wont turn over. The machine is also backfiring now.

So I've done the following to this point:

1) Replaced gas lines, cleaned fuel selector.
2) Replaced rectifier
3) Removed carbs - I'm worried this could be one of the culprits with not starting
4) Tighted flywheel that had come loose - I read that this doesn't have anything to do with timing however could it be a culprit?
5) Filled up with premium "no name" fuel (only one station close to cottage) that turned orange in color at the fuel filter but tank seems clean/clear.
6) Replaced stator which I assume was damaged with the flywheel came loose. Now receiving good spark but still won't turn over.

So I'm leaning towards the following:

1) Pump the gas out of the tank - not sure what caused it to turn orange
2) Remove the carbs again - rebuild them this time and make sure all settings are okay (I don't have much experience with this but need to learn somehow)
3) Check timing? When I tightened up the flywheel, could this have thrown the timing? I didn't change anything on the magnito.

I'm too far into this now to go sink it in the middle of the lake. Sorry for the long winded post but trying to explain the best I could. Looking for some help. Thanks!

It sounds like you are finally on the right track with your list. Especially with #2. Also, pressure check your selector. Even if you get them clean they start leaking air. If you find it is leaking air replace with OEM.

Did you put stator back in right? Use the factory index mark if that year has it? Pull mag cover off and make sure wires did not get caught by flywheel. All fuses intact? Display or gauges come alive with key on. Get beeps when key goes on? Put gas in air box and try?

I'm not sure about your engine...
But on my engine (the 951) the magneto MUST be installed the correct way. It can be installed a few different ways. And to confirm, on my engine the timing is based on the magneto. So if your engine has the same concepts as mine (which a lot of concepts are shared) then you may have installed the magneto in the wrong orientation (Which would throw the timing off).

Edit: My flywheel has a key and can only be installed one way. I don't know about yours.

What do you mean by "Won't turn over"?

Is the starter spinning?
Is the starter engaging?
Is the engine turning but not firing?

Mikirig1 - I put the stator in the exact same position. Wires were tucked in - I'm getting good spark which I wasn't experiencing prior. All fuses are in tact. Gauges come up and key beeps. Have not tried gas in the air box.

Here's a photo - Hope this works (sorry new to this)

IMG_7616.JPG

Triorieel

Heres a photo of the flywheel. I didn't not remove the magneto so it is in the same position on the flywheel. I simply tightened up the flywheel that came loose. (I know one of the screws is off the magneto, I was trying to find longer one's in case I had to pull the flywheel off)

By wont turn over, I should've said it wont start. Starter spins and engages, engine turns over, but won't start. There is spark (tested for this) as I have seen smoke coming out of the air intake, and the machine will backfire during attempted start ups.

IMG_7474.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back