97 GTI Bogging Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prosideus

I have poured thought the forum and have not found an exact description of what my pwc is doing.

To explain, it starts fine, idles fine, and on wide open throttle it runs bogged down at about 10 mph. This happened and I ran the ski wide open throttle for about 10 minutes, and it began sporadically jumping to a higher RPM and finally staying there at the WOT. It ran great for the rest of the day. Next time out, no luck on running it for a while in "bog" mode to get it to rev up to the higher RPMs.

I have not found anything on the forum to address this specific issue, but have deduced a couple of things. Please double check my thinking or help me with what I need to do to solve this problem.

1. Gray fuel lines replaced, and fuel selector cleaned.
2. Based on research, the engine is running lean. Possible causes could be air intake or carb issue?
3. I have purchased mikuni rebuild kits for the carbs and will do that in the coming days.

Anything else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I had something similar happen to my GTI and tank vent pressure may have something to do with it.
On mine it would run fine and then if I accelerate it would it bog or not rev up. I open gas cap and it was fine after.
Wasn't a continuos thing but not problematic.

Go through carbs and check internal filters.
Make sure needle setting of high and low are in spec.

I have read that you should replace the vents like every 5 years. Try taking the water / fuel filter out of the line with a piece of rigid tubing connecting the fuel lines. The seal will fail and not seal at times. DROVE ME NUTS! Check all your line connections for tightness. Rebuild the carbs if you can. May not even be the fuel system. Could be a connection or a power issue.

If it stays running... then clears out... that's rich. Generally a "Lean" bog, will just kill (shut off) the egnien.

I'm thinking you may have a center seal that's going bad, and a lot of extra oil in entering the engine.

If it was strictly fuel (from the carbs) it would clear out faster, and it would happen after only being off for a couple minutes.

With that said... you could also have an exhaust leak. By any chance, did you try to take off the seat, and get some fresh air into the bilge?

Still need help here with this issue.

I rebuilt the carb, and noticed I had a leak from one of the tuned piped circle areas that I repaired. No change in performance. I opened the gas cap and no luck. I did not replace/remove the fuel filter.

I am at the end of my rope here and thinking about ditching the ski. What should I do next to troubleshoot this. It has been running fine until earlier this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You may have just answered your own question... You just stated that you noticed that one of the circles on the tuned pipe that repaired is leaking... How did you repair it? With JB WELD? those circles need to be re welded professionally. Not saying it is definitely your issue, but it's a fine tuned machine and doesn't perform adequately if things like leaks exist. [MENTION=77252]DRH[/MENTION]onda just mentioned and exhaust leak. If your tuned pipe (part of the exhaust system) has a LEAK, that means there is a break in the system somewhere and you're lucky to be getting ANY performance out of it, let alone a "bog"... As I said, it may not be your issue, but any leak in that system may result in a loss of a set amount of pressure, resulting in the engine not running to spec. On top of that, your hull will fill up pretty damn fast if you're running that thing with a tuned pipe leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments 96. One question I have is next steps for troubleshooting the issue. The ski is no longer filling up with water (it had been doing that for a while, since before I started having bogging issues), and I do need to look at the fuel filter as Mick has indicated. I am going to start researching center seal related topics. Hopefully that will turn up something.

I have a 97 GTI, It could be as simple as this. Where the spark plug wires meet the boot over spark plug the spark plug wire pulls out. the wire is clipped back exposing bare wire to meet the boot connection. cut off the exposed wire which is probably deteriorated. Then strip like a 1/4 inch back to expose for a connection to boot. Push wire fully back in! it should be done at least once a season. If not the GTI would run then just stahl! U don't want to be expensively guessing at it has to be done anyway. Another problem is the head pipe vibrating loose from the exhaust manifold. Solved by taking off manifold, and a machine shop putting in solid Time disc's threaded inside for bolt on outside for manifold. Then High strength Locktite on both threads. I used studs instead of the bolts, they never vibrate out. No more problems. The 720 motor will go 400 hours if maintained. Never an engine problem!

Besides spark pug wires being pulled from boot and clipped back as I mentioned. check fuel filter. lift front hood and it's right underneath of deck. Twist it off slowly as the thin round gasket is seated in the inside top in a recessed rim. Don't loose it as it wants to pop out. pull filter cartridge down, clean it with gas, reinsert with the gasket seated properly. If not it will run like crap. Doing what U describe. . May take a couple of tries to get gas back in the lines to start. That 720 engine is usually trouble free. Never an issue. Might try throwing some gas stabilzer in fuel tank in case moisture is in tank. Always when storing off season. The GTI has it's littlequirks, but it's dependable! Won't quit. And stable as hell.handles beautifully. Can't flip it unless some one does something totally crazy.Never carry more then 400 pounds total with U and a passenger. Had some one 300 pounds on back. A few miles down the river, grinding started ,then no where. Just literally ground out drive shaft too jet pump connection. It's actually undersized drive train for that Jet-Ski. Acceleration is nothing to bragg about, but does 50mph in calm conditions. Bought a new GTR215. It's a rocket but sucks gas with the supercharger.

97 gti

That gasket to fuel filter has to be seated properly or it screws up the fuel vacuum. Make sure that gasket is not broken, deteriorated, etc.. it's all it takes to screw up the fuel vacuum. If not it runs goofy. Engine speeds up , stahls, etc.... Sounds like your guessing and wasting your money doing a carb rebuild. Better know what your doing with a rebuild which sounds totally unnecessary. Don't screw with anything or U could be creating endless problems! The motor is simple and if maintained never an issue!

Curtis,

Thank you for the insight. I will take a look at the things you have suggested next time I get back to the ski. I will report back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Update
So I tried various things that were suggested and ended up not being successful. I finally took the ski into the local SeaDoo dealer and they serviced it. Did a full clean out of the field system and carb rebuild. It is working fine now. Hope to get another month of activity on the ski before pulling it for the season.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions on this. It just got to a point beyond my desire to spend more time and effort getting it resolved. Having it repaired definitely came out cheaper than a new ski.

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out and weren't chasing a ghost all throughout this next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back