97 GSX counter balance shaft oil height

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

burtshaver2021

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hello, so I purchased my first 787 a few months ago and today while winterizing it I noticed the nylon cap for the oil to go into the counter balance. I took the cap off and put a wire in to see if there was any moisture but could barely tell if there was oil on the wire so I cut a 4” long by 1/4” wide piece of cardboard off of an old cereal box and stuck it down into the case as far as I could which was only about 3 inches. I only got about 1/8th of an inch of oil on the cardboard. The oil was pretty dark but wasn’t milky. The machine has 130 hours on it. I’ve read that there is supposed to be 1 oz. or 30ml of of oil in there. I’m worried that there’s not enough in there. Anybody know how much oil should show up when I dip it? 1/8 th of an inch doesn’t seem like much, but there’s no way for me to be sure I got the cardboard to the bottom of the case. It did bottom out, but not sure if it was hitting the exact bottom.

It is not a sealed compartment on the 787 engines so it will get used and refilled just from running the engine. The only time you need to mess with it on a 787 is if the engine gets flooded with water.

Not sealed? You mean it’s open to the crankcase? I was under the impression that the nylon cap I took off was there to add 30 weight oil. Only 1 oz. or 30 ml. I read that 96 GSX model year didn’t have this opening to add oil and that the only time you messed with it was if you got water in there in which case you would have to split the crank case. Do you know does this 97 have a drain plug for the oil in the counter balance? Or again as you had mentioned is it lubed by the gas oil mixture as well? Which wouldn’t make sense as to why they would have this cap then

It is open to the crankcase so the oil is burned and replenished by the 2-stroke oil.
It does not need to be changed.

On 1997 and newer if it has a fill cap it has the drain plug.

So if I’m getting this correctly the 97 which is the one I’m looking at has a sealed compartment that takes 1 oz. of 30 weight oil. Which In theory should never need to be replenished Only changed if the engine compartment becomes flooded and oil is milky. 1 oz is not a lot of oil but it worries me as I’ve seen quit a few threads where the counterbalance bearings explode and take out the case with it. Being as how when I dipped it with the thin piece of cardboard I only got 1/8” showing on the cardboard do you think I should drain it and refill with the 1 oz.? It’s not milky or anything, machine has 134 hours.

Sorry, maybe I’m not understanding. Is the 1 oz. of oil in the 97 gsx 787 just for lubrication after a rebuild? Even though it has the fill plug, do you mean that after it is all reassembled it is lived by the 2 stroke oil in the fuel and that the 1 oz. of 30 oil was only to lube it for the initial start up. Real sorry I’m not getting this. I really thought it was a sealed unit

No, no 787 engine has a sealed balancer oil compartment. There is no reason to add oil or change oil ever unless it is a dry crankcase from a fresh rebuild or if the engine gets flooded with water.

It is not a maintenance item on a 787.

Ok, good. I thought it was sealed. I know it’s not a maintenance item but the oil was very dark and I would feel better knowing it has been changed. I’m just being lazy know as I can just myself but do you know if the drain plug is accessible with the engine in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back