97 GSI 5a Fuse

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having an interesting time getting this soldered... anyone see any videos on how to solder to an existing post on a board? Keep ending up with solder bbs all over the place

Having an interesting time getting this soldered... anyone see any videos on how to solder to an existing post on a board? Keep ending up with solder bbs all over the place

Frustrating I can imagine, is there a way to get to the back side to push through and remove the posts that remained? Might have to clean it up and remove the posts then drop it in and solder, you can try some thin braided wire to remove solder...or a little spring loaded vacuum.

Frustrating I can imagine, is there a way to get to the back side to push through and remove the posts that remained? Might have to clean it up and remove the posts then drop it in and solder, you can try some thin braided wire to remove solder...or a little spring loaded vacuum.
Requires more digging in the potting.. meh... I might see if I can run over to ace and get some thinner solder. Think the stuff I have is a tad too thick. It's really a matter of getting everything in place and trying to fit the solder and iron in there and somehow keep it from moving..

use either a solder sucker or a desoldering braid to remove the old solder from the board and remove the old posts. Be careful with your heat not to pull up any traces...

After you get the old out, use some flux and install the new.

use either a solder sucker or a desoldering braid to remove the old solder from the board and remove the old posts. Be careful with your heat not to pull up any traces...

After you get the old out, use some flux and install the new.
Ok... here's where I'm at...needle nose pliers worked great for the back. Trying to get the old solder hot enuf to pull the old pins.. proving futile at the moment...

Attachments

• 20180726_112744.jpg
    20180726_112744.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20180726_112737.jpg
    20180726_112737.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Ok... here's where I'm at...needle nose pliers worked great for the back. Trying to get the old solder hot enuf to pull the old pins.. proving futile at the moment...

Are you holding the pins with the pliers while you try and heat it? If so they're acting like a heatsink. You need to heat with the iron until they move and quick grab with the pliers.

It's also possible on the negative side the ground plane is soaking up all the heat.

Putting some flux paste on it can help getting the old solder to flow.

Looks like the old wires are copper core... could that be dissipating the heat too? Cant seem to get them loose. Haven't tried flux paste yet... dont have any

Belay my last... finally managed to get the 2 posts out... cleaned up the 2 holes and installed the new diode...will hook everything back up in a bit and see if it worked... fingers crossed

Attachments

• 20180726_145458.jpg
    20180726_145458.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20180726_145504.jpg
    20180726_145504.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20180726_145621.jpg
    20180726_145621.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20180726_145615.jpg
    20180726_145615.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180726_150236.jpg
    20180726_150236.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180726_150226.jpg
    20180726_150226.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
I just want to extend a gracious thank you to kmarts and gguillot for their assistance in fixing my gremlin! SHE LIVES! Yes... that says 64 hours... whooo hoooooo! Not sure if she runs yet (flywheel is still off) but this victory had eluded 2 previous owners!

Attachments

• 20180726_160558.jpg
    20180726_160558.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
I just want to extend a gracious thank you to kmarts and gguillot for their assistance in fixing my gremlin! SHE LIVES! Yes... that says 64 hours... whooo hoooooo! Not sure if she runs yet (flywheel is still off) but this victory had eluded 2 previous owners!

Awesome man!! you got it...for a few bucks and some hard work you saved hundreds...glad we could help out..

Awesome man!! you got it...for a few bucks and some hard work you saved hundreds...glad we could help out..

Hard fought, tedious, scary buy well worth it... just gotta seal it up and install... next up is the fuel system... carb rebuild and those dang tempo lines... easy compared to electrical

Great to see, glad you could bring it back from the dead!

I'm the opposite, I can do electrical all day. Problem with the mpems though is there's no technical data, schematics, etc... kinda hard to fix when you don't know how it works lol.

Read mikis carb rebuild thread, use oe mikuni parts, and make sure those pilot holes are all clear. Pressure test the fuel system when you're done.

Great to see, glad you could bring it back from the dead!

I'm the opposite, I can do electrical all day. Problem with the mpems though is there's no technical data, schematics, etc... kinda hard to fix when you don't know how it works lol.

Read mikis carb rebuild thread, use oe mikuni parts, and make sure those pilot holes are all clear. Pressure test the fuel system when you're done.
Cranked her up this morning... idles around 3k and sounds smooth... couldn't help myself.. had to make sure she cranked... dont think its ran in quite a few years but she purrs...still gotta seal up the mpem and put the rest back together..

I would suggest something like 3M 5200 to seal the mpem as you want something with good adhesive and water resistance but it takes 4 days to cure. RTV probably will not bond good and will eventually pull off.

I'm not sure what you have for electronics hobby stores but potting compound is what you took off, replacing it with the same probably isn't a bad idea so the board stays sealed.

This is what's readily available in my area:
832B - Black Epoxy - MG Chemicals | MG Chemicals

Any bit of airborne moisture that can seep in will corrode any circuitry you exposed. On the flip side that stuff will be a bi*** to remove if you have to do it again.

I'm not sure what you have for electronics hobby stores but potting compound is what you took off, replacing it with the same probably isn't a bad idea so the board stays sealed.

This is what's readily available in my area:
832B - Black Epoxy - MG Chemicals | MG Chemicals

Any bit of airborne moisture that can seep in will corrode any circuitry you exposed. On the flip side that stuff will be a bi*** to remove if you have to do it again.

I totally missed this post.. Sorry K.. Does that stuff turn in to epoxy concrete or does it stay plyable? If I have to dig this thing out again, I dont want to have to deal with solid epoxy

I totally missed this post.. Sorry K.. Does that stuff turn in to epoxy concrete or does it stay plyable? If I have to dig this thing out again, I dont want to have to deal with solid epoxy

Nope turns hard like the stuff you removed.

Mine is not blowni the fuse and also when I don't have the dess key on post hitting the start stop button 2 to 5 times does nothing.

Got the GSI back on the water after at least 10 years... she ran like a greased pig!! No more moth balls on this old girl!

Well done! I just put a mothballed '97 gsi back in the water with a new(core exchange) SBT motor. I put about 3 hours on the new motor yesterday. Running strong clocked it at 53 mph along side of my 2013 gti.

I also replaced most of my fuel lines they were in pretty bad shape.

For a winter project I plan on pulling the fuel baffle and doing the solder repair.

Well done! I just put a mothballed '97 gsi back in the water with a new(core exchange) SBT motor. I put about 3 hours on the new motor yesterday. Running strong clocked it at 53 mph along side of my 2013 gti.

I also replaced most of my fuel lines they were in pretty bad shape.

For a winter project I plan on pulling the fuel baffle and doing the solder repair.
Awesome! I love bringing things back from the dead... fuel lines on this one are good but they'll be replaced this winter...
I've gotta do a float on my gts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back