97 GS motor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cj3737

Is there any way to split the 717 while its installed in the craft? I've been able to get it to crank over but it seems labored and I fear there is a whole lot of gunk in with the crank... this will prolly be my winter project and I dont want to pull the engine unless I really must... just want to split it so I can see down to the crank.

Nope.

Slow cranking is typically a bad starter, battery or cables.
I know it's not the battery... works great in the GTS...starter was replaced with a used OEM...could be that or the cables...

This is the ski that had a bunch of dirt and water in the mag and around the flywheel...

Pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over. You may have a leaking seal from the rotary valve area. You may get some liquid out of the spark plug holes. I wouldn't be anxious to pull the engine just to have a look You may be able to get a reasonable visual if you pull the carbs and rotary valve cover. I sure got a whole lot of "You May's" in there. :)

I know it's not the battery... works great in the GTS...starter was replaced with a used OEM...could be that or the cables...

This is the ski that had a bunch of dirt and water in the mag and around the flywheel...

Is this the one shortly after you purchased it along with the GSI that you discovered the water line in it? Where it appeared to be flooded at some point?

If so, winter project, I wouldn't spend much time cranking it and would prepare to pull the engine, you need to get a good look at that crank. Since the mag area was a disaster, my bet is the crank bearings are rusted, even if you got it running it wouldn't last.

Last edited:
Is this the one shortly after you purchased it along with the GSI that you discovered the water line in it? Where it appeared to be flooded at some point?

If so, winter project, I wouldn't spend much time cranking it and would prepare to pull the engine, you need to get a good look at that crank. Since the mag area was a disaster, my bet is the crank bearings are rusted, even if you got it running it wouldn't last.
Yes it is... I really dont want to rip into it but a slow as it cranks, it tells me there is prolly the same gunk in the crank that I found in the mag. Meh... I was hoping I could get a peek inside without spending the time pulling the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back