96 XP Water in Cylinders. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM93

Hi everyone, new poster here. So me and my brother picked up some skis. 96 XP & 97 SPX. I'm also new to jet skis. Not new to working on things.
So the issue, he took to the lake. 96 XP was running good as usual. SPX was acting up so he pulled them out. Now the 96 XP will not start out of the water. Pull plugs and there is water In the cylinders! How did it get in the cylinders?

Could be a cracked water jacket. Any chance you ran it on the hose with the engine off?

Has not been on the hose. Would compression be at 150 psi with a cracked water jacket? Seems like it would show low #'s.

I assume these are 800's, ,,,therefore, water can get in at
1, the base gasket
2, the intake manifold gasket
3, the xhaust header manifold gasket
4, a cracked sleeve.(rare)
5, a crack on the interior of the header xhaust pipe.(very rare)
To check for a leaky base gasket, run water thru the motor ,,,,running of course, and with a strong flashlight, look at the green base gasket for drips of water,,,that mostly occurs from a warped jug from improper winterization.
6, leaking "o" rings in the cylinder head..(very rare)
7, a crack in the intake/ xhaust manifold,,,once again warped jugs will cause a poor seal at the cylinder head...also rare.

Last edited:
POPPS thanks for the reply I will check that stuff out. But I learned new info from my brother. He left the hull plug out so I'm wondering if it came in through carbs from hull taking on water. Got all water out and went and ride it for a little and it appears to be fine now. No water once pulled out of the lake when the plug is in the hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back