96 XP revival

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have that riveter too and agree it works great. Grab a swivel for the air fitting when you're at HF. The swivel will make it must more pleasant to use.
It will work perfectly on the rub rails. However, on the nose bumper and the corner bumpers, the rivets are recessed deeply in small holes. The riveter can't reach the bottom of these holes and tends to pull the entire rivet out instead of clinching it. Adding small nuts as spacers between the riveter and the rivet head causes the riveter not to be able to reach the rivet. Hopefully that makes sense.
I am sure there is a riveter that you can buy that has an extended, tiny nose. Obviously one does exist or how else did BRP install the rivets originally? But the HF is not it.
So I am suggesting that on the bumper and the corner pieces, use machine screws and nuts.

Thanks for the advice. I started removing the bumpers. Took a whopping 6 minutes to get one side off... Really easy.

I'm going to try to get the sponsons off and all the rub rails today. I ordered some Marinetex, should be here Thursday. Hurry up and wait I guess

Snapchat-442309997.jpg

How big of a pain in the a_ _ were the sponsons to remove? I was thinking of making a tool but decided NEVER to remove another pair. LOL

It wasn't that bad. I took the waterbox and the battery out and used a 10mm socket. Took me about 15 mins total. 1/4" Mini air ratchet was helpful. I was surprised how not-tight the nuts were. They broke loose with that tiny air ratchet without any problem

I pulled the sponsons off a ski because I was getting water in when i turned. I too was suaprised at how loose some of the nuts were. I resealed and put them back on.... still had a leak but it wasn't the sponsons. I hate taking things apart just to get at the part. It irks me. :) Good Luck on the job. I"ll be following.

How did you reseal them? I noticed some small globs of silicone around each bolt hole, it was clear in color.

Did you just use some silicone around the studs on each sponson and press them back on?

It’s the install that’s the big pain.
And yes just a little silicone on each stud to seal.

What worked best for me was I put a little electrical tape on the nut so it would stay in a socket then used a bolt with the head cut off to make a guide/stud and threaded it into the nut. Next put the lock washer and flat washer on the stud then a few drops of super glue and some kicker to set it up. Then remove the stud and install the whole thing with worrying about the pain in the butt washers.

Yep Clear RTV is what I used and definitely a way to keep the nut on the socket. I use masking tape sometimes because it is thinner. I've dropped enough stuff inside the Seadoo hull to least me a life time. LOL Good Luck !

Gelcoat is thick enough to spray over the fiberglass without a skim coat as long as it is smooth.

View attachment 46882
MarineTex showed up! Good thing I got the 14oz

Definitely plenty with the 14oz, price wise it makes sense to get. I still have some left after using it on the GTX and GSX, and that includes die grinding and filling all the mat rivet holes on both skis.

Just remember to die grind where you're applying....with small pits, die grind and create a small dimple. I ran some together and filled.

Awesome. Thanks for the tip!

I want to get after it tomorrow. I feel good knowing I have enough material to fill all of the holes.

Awesome. Thanks for the tip!

I want to get after it tomorrow. I feel good knowing I have enough material to fill all of the holes.

Tip on the mixing, take a popsicle stick and small piece of cardboard. With the white stuff, dab, dab, dab, dab dab (5). Then with the clear stuff gauging the volume of the white dabs, dab of the clear down then mix. Doesn't need to be perfect, but as close to 5:1 your eyes can judge.

There is a guy on the Facebook seadoo 2 stroke page who makes custom vinyl decals. I will get you his info as I get a discount on my next order and so do you. He made me some stuff and it was excellent.

Awesome! Thank you again.

Tomorrow my plan is to clean up my garage and organize it. Then I'm going to flip the ski and get to work. My HVLP gun showed up today, and the sponsons.

I'm going to try to have this thing done by next weekend!

Got this thing flipped...by myself. The images you are about to see are 100% hood shit

I bolted a chain to the header of my garage door (3 2x12's) with some 3/8" Powerlags.

Hooked up to the chain with the come-along and started raising the back of the ski. Then I tied a rope to the front tow hook and started lifting with my engine hoist but the hoist wanted to keep sliding towards the ski and I couldn't have that, so I wrapped the winch cable that I bolted to the floor a few years back for dragging shit into the garage to the upright of the engine hoist. Tugged up on the winch a little to keep the hoist in place, and lifted it up. The ski started to tip a little as the front became more elevated than the rear, so i lifted the back up some more. Then it became very tippy, and all I had to do was slowly roll it over.

I slid my ghetto 2x4 stand that I built a few days ago underneath, and set it down.

IMG_20200329_133511.jpg

IMG_20200329_133519.jpg

Last edited:
I have a lot of tools from harbor freight but that hoist isn't one of them lol.

my old neighbor gave it to me... I bet that thing is 300 pounds. Best part is it comes apart and i can stash it under my work bench!

Few years ago I modified it by adding length to the picking arm - if you look closely you can see the 2x2 square tubing actually slides inside of a larger collar. I drilled various holes for different lengths. Needed the extra pick height when I pulled an engine out of my friends truck a few years back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back