96 XP NOT RUNNING CORRECTLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDUNCAN

NEED HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM, ENGINE HAS 150 PSI ON BOTH CYLINDERS, REBUILT BOTH CARBS WITH FACTORY KITS, POP OFF WAS AT 38 AND 35 I LEFT IT AT THAT, FACTORY SETTINGS ON HIGH AND LOW SCREWS, 0 ON HIGH AND 1 1/2 ON LOW, SKI WILL CRANK AND IDLE FINE AT AROUND 1300 RPM LET IT WARM UP BY IDLING AROUND FOR ABOUT 5 TO TEN MINS. NEVER CUT OFF OR LOAD UP, IT WILL TAKE OFF FINE AND I CAN HIT THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN WITH NO HESITATION BUT IT GOES ABOUT 50 YARDS TOP SPEED RUNNING FINE THEN IT STOPS AND WONT GO OVER ABOUT 3000 RPM, I CAN CUT THE ENGINE OFF AND WAIT ABOUT THREE MINS. AND CRANK IT BACK UP WHICH IT DOES WITH NO PROBLEM AND HIT THE THROTTLE AGAIN WIDE OPEN AND IT WILL GO TOP SPEED FOR ABOUT 50 YARDS AND STALL AGAIN AND WILL ONLY RUN ABOUT 3000 RPM, I CAN KEEP DOING THE STOPPING AND STARTING OVER AND OVER AND IT DOES THE SAME THING EVERY TIME. ANYBODY GOT ANY HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM?

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak. If exhaust is leaking into the hull it can choke out the motor and create those symptoms. Had the same thing happen to one of my skis. Take off like a rocket, and then fall flat on it's face.

A bad regulator/rectifier could also create full throttle issues.

Could also be a fuel delivery problem. Possibly a bad vent check valve that creates a vacuum in the tank and starves the carbs of fuel. Try cracking the gas cap after a run and listen for pressure

I WAS RIDING IT WITH THE SEAT OFF AND I DIDN'T SEE ANY EXHAUST LEAK, I ALSO TRIED THE GAS CAP AND THERE WAS NO PRESSURE, I HAVE NOT TRIED THE RECTIFIER YET, BUT I DID NOTICE THAT AT IDLE THE BATTERY LIGHT WOULD BE ON BUT WHEN I WOULD TAKE OFF AND RAISE THE RPM'S THE LIGHT WOULD GO OFF

You can try unplugging the red wire to the rectifier and see if your problems go away. If so, replace the rectifier. With the red wire disconnected, you won't be charging the battery, so don't run for an extended period

here is a update on my problem, unhooked the rectifier this Sunday and took it out and it ran great over 50 mph, new rectifier here i come

Dang !!! with what you described I sure would have been looking at fuel. Glad you have a path forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back