96 XP - first water test - full throttle bog/surge - 16Volts - help from the pros

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TurnerBFC

Hi all,

Took the 1996 XP that I purchased not long ago to the lake today. To begin, I bought it running but running rough and noticed it had grey fuel lines, etc. I was looking for a project ski.

So the work I did to it was, replace all fuel lines, rebuild carbs with mikuni kit from OSD, rebuild rave bellows and clean rave valves, and a few other little things not engine related.

The pop off pressure was 27psi on both carbs. The ski has a R&D Pipe on it and it has been jetted accordingly. So, I took the ski out today and let it warm up as I idled around for 2 minutes in the bay, then I started to get on it and it was having trouble getting on plane, then it started to bog and fell off plane...after that, all throttle was bogging/surging and it acted like it was loading up. I think I had a fouled plug/plugs at this point. So I am thinking it is running rich or loading up some how.

I put it on the trailer and started it and it still acted the same, so I drove home and then started it again (after 1 hour of sitting) and it seemed to clear up and rev out like it should. I also tested the voltage at the battery when running and it was 15-16V...so I'm pretty sure I need a new rectifier (Yea, more money!).

Further, the pto HS was 1 1/4 and the mag HS was 2 1/2 out, I found online that the pto should be 1 1/4 like it was, and the mag to be 1, so I adjusted that.

So, from what I experienced... what would the pro's do? It revs out on the trailer right now but I don't want to go back to the lake without doing the voltage rectifier.

HELP! If you guys need any more info, please ask!

Disconnect red rectifier wire in front ebox and test again.

NOTE: battery will not be charged while riding with red wire disconnected this is purely a test to determine if rectifier is causing bog.

16 volts is wayyy too much voltage.

Rob

Mhmm ok. Where can I buy an OEM one? [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:
Minnetonka sells them, PM him. I also recommend a used OEM one. I purchased a new aftermarket and I lost ~500 rpm. Bought a used OEM and back to normal.

Minnetonka sells them, PM him. I also recommend a used OEM one. I purchased a new aftermarket and I lost ~500 rpm. Bought a used OEM and back to normal.
I bought one today, $130 CAD. I will report back by end of weekend if this fixed my problem.

Just to update this thread, I switched the fuel selector, adjusted the HS screw, and replaced the rectifier with an OEM one. SKI RUNS GREAT!!! These things are insane.

Thanks for everyones help. I hope this post helps someone else in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back