96 XP Build - Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I figured I post the journey. This is the XP I acquired last year with all the high performance parts. I'm sending the engine out for a nice solid rebuild and I'll just have to put it back together when the engine comes in. The Body needs a lot of love. I don't think I'll have to repaint it but it has already been painted. LOL I'll post more. Poor thing was pitiful I felt sorry for it. Lots of cool stuff that I don;t know what it is. Ha ha. Should be fun. I probably will not keep this ski but ya never know. :)1996XP -2019.jpeg1996 XP Nozzle b 2019.JPGXP 12-3-19 (3).JPEGXP 12-3-19 (11).JPEG1996 XP Carbs 2019.jpeg1996 XP 2019 C (2).JPEG

Last edited:
I don't have anything to add but will be following this closely as I just picked up a crusty 96 XP and am just starting to dig into it. I'll start a thread as I am going to need some help.

I pulled the engine apart today. I did a lot of turning and feeling, listening and it had a couple of bumps that should not have been there. My plan was a complete rebuild from the beginning but I had to figure out what it was. :) I really don't believe engine fogging addresses stuff like this.. The best maintenance for a ski is to ride it. :)

Crank Bearing Mag side.jpg

Man, that thing started out ugly. I have a 95 XP that needed some wet sanding to the white hull and upper, but now looks awesome. The storage hood material is porous, so laying down a good smooth paint job on it, the side grills and the rear grab bar is almost impossible. But repainted certainly looks better than grungy. The handlebar cover is hopeless and a black cover from the net is best there. Good luck. I love the passion folks still have for the smokers. My 95 XP is absolutely my favorite (X4's rule).

Man, that thing started out ugly. I have a 95 XP that needed some wet sanding to the white hull and upper, but now looks awesome. The storage hood material is porous, so laying down a good smooth paint job on it, the side grills and the rear grab bar is almost impossible. But repainted certainly looks better than grungy. The handlebar cover is hopeless and a black cover from the net is best there. Good luck. I love the passion folks still have for the smokers. My 95 XP is absolutely my favorite (X4's rule).

On the First XP my solution to the handle bar cover was to do some work on it, and paint it with base clear and a little flex additive. Came out Great !! This 96XP has been painted and it's more of a milky color. I'm gonna focus on the engine and set up first but I saw a lime green metallic ski that was just soooo rad looking. I think one of my skis will end up that color. lol I don't even like green. I think it was 3 stage. LOL

Concerning the Hood, Soft scrub and blue scotch bright and some elbow grease. I'm gonna take a good picture of this one for comparison so people can see how it comes out.

And we're OFF !!! Gonna be an adventure but I can't stay on this ski as I have others to work on. Engine is ready for assembly. I have much cleaning and such to do.

787 XP SES Engine.JPG

I am seriously thinking of redoing the hull on this ski. Someone painted it and applied the stickers and all that. It's not as bright a yellow as I did my other ski that needed painting. It doesn't look bad but will never be hella-cool with that paint job. Unlike "ugly" (the RX) I may redo the bottom BEFORE I install the engine. :D Or maybe removing the paint might be the thing to do. I'll mull this over. Gonna be a slow project. .... More importantly, I need to NAME this ski. :)

XP 12-3-19 (7).JPEGXP 12-3-19 (12).JPEG

Last edited:
I might have a name for the ski and I love dual meanings especially if one meaning could lead on to the sexual side. :) A member of our FB group said to be sure my wife gets video of me getting back on the ski after I get "tossed" off. So.... TOSSER is a name going on my list and is currently at the top. :D :D

Try this on all the plastic bits like the cowl (hood), grab bar and rub rail. It's worked great for me in the past. Give the area a thorough cleaning and degreasing, then a vigorous hand sanding to take care of any surface irregularities. Now take a heat gun or torch and carefully Revitalize the surface. The results can be amazing. You can go over it with a little armor-all after. This is the hood on a Sea-Doo Speedster. It was at least as bad as yours when we started.

Attachments

• 20200125_201438.jpg
    20200125_201438.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 34
Man you got that think looking great !! I've used heat a little bit in the past. I did this hood on another XP with Soft Scrub and a blue scotch-brite pad. Looks decent and nowhere near as good as yours. :) I gotta admit though... I pulled out early. LOL Thanks for reminding me as I thought this ski's hood was hopeless. :D

1996 XP Day 1 - E.JPGXP 1996 9-25-19 Done (2).JPEGXP Paint Prep (3).jpg

If you peel off those graphics, could I sweet talk you into tracing the "XP" text on the back and sending it to me? The only graphics I want on my restored ski are those, and I figure I could just make them with some vinyl and an x-acto knife.
Thanks.

Happy to help bro !!!! Can I trace them for you without peeling them off? It might RUB onto the proper surface. Any artists on the board?

Can I trace them for you without peeling them off?

Sure, I don't care how it's done. Just need the outline of the lettering. Could just tape a piece of paper over it, follow the outline with a fine tip pen and throw it on the scanner or in the mail, depending on whether you want to be old skool or not.

Thank you!

What about a Picture. You can blow it up to the size you want. I"m not graphic guy so let me know. I'll help any way i can bro !! Teamwork !! :)

What about a Picture. You can blow it up to the size you want. I"m not graphic guy so let me know. I'll help any way i can bro !! Teamwork !! :)
Thanks, I will let you know. The more I look at the ski, the more I like it without graphics at all.

I like the one I did. Left it yellow. Dang graphics cost waaaaay to much for this ole boys pocket book. :) I'm likin some of the colors I'm seeing. Yea buddy !!

Alrighty Then..... the Project ski is in the all weather area which means it is now a priority. :D I'm not liking the hull color. As I mentioned previously it was painted and you can see where the seat fits the color is different. It's either leave the ski this slightly milky yellow or strip everything off. I just don't like it. I could start putting it together and save a lot of time. Any ideas?? I've seen some cool stuff on the board. :D I do have a 1997 SPX hull that is real ugly but might not b as much work to prep. Should I just get another hull ??

1996 XP Go-Fast in Shop Paint (1).JPEG1996 XP Go-Fast in Shop Paint (2).JPEG1996 XP Go-Fast in Shop Paint (3).JPEG

Sure, I don't care how it's done. Just need the outline of the lettering. Could just tape a piece of paper over it, follow the outline with a fine tip pen and throw it on the scanner or in the mail, depending on whether you want to be old skool or not.

Thank you!

Got a picture of the lettering for you in the previous post.

I dunno.... it is looking MUCH better. LOL

1996XP -2019.jpeg

As I sit in my "Thinkin Chair" today I am teetering the decision not to repaint and just getting on with the mechanicals. :) It has a certain RETRO look that I like. Of course I'll do as best I can with the cosmetics. It isn't a bad looking ski. Hmmmm....... Input??

1996 XP Go-Fast in Shop Paint (1).JPEG

Last edited:
Seadoo Engine service did the block on that one. :) I have all the engine parts left to clean and paint though. I use the parts cleaner fluid/solvent to remove most of the oils and grease. I finish up with brake-kleen to get the rest of the oil removed. I get my little wire brush and scraper out, picks whatever it takes to get the lose paint off and corrosion. I Sand the bad spots with 80 grit to get it smooth and then 120 grit. I wipe it down, another dose of brake-kleen wipe down and blow it with the air hose. I always use Bulldog paint prep. My main concern with the paint is to make sure it sticks and seals the metal from corrosion. I do like it when they look pretty though. :) The black engines look better longer in my area. :D

Last edited:
Stripping paint is a lot of work, and you should assume you will have to undertake gelcoat repair once the old paint is gone. You might not have to, but I would expect to. I'd repaint it again before I stripped it, assuming the existing paint is in ok shape. Single stage urethane is tough stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back