96 SPX Broken Motor Mounts - took on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekDad66

Had a real fiasco yesterday with my 96 SPX. Was out cruising with a buddy and lost thrust (engine still ran). As I was being towed to the ramp, I suspected I was taking on water. By the time I got to shore (saltwater BTW), there was water in the engine compartment above the battery.

Drained the ski, brought it home and hosed down the compartment three times. At this point I saw what happened - mounts broke, engine slid forward ~1.5" and the rrar driveshaft allowed water to pour in. I pulled the plugs and cranked it and got two small geysers. Dried the plugs, cranked and was able to get one cylinder firing. Pulled them out again, dried, swapped and got 1.5 cylinders firing. Pulled/dried/swapped again and finally got the engine running normal. I then did a heavy oil fogging as if I were storing for the winter.

Today I went out, poured ~2 oz. of 2 stroke oil in each cylinder and cranked over a few things. I plan on pulling the engine this weekend to inspect for other damage (shaft/impeller/etc.). Assuming it is just the mounts, I have a few concerns:

1) What can I do if there is still water in the crankcase? I was going to pour 2 oz in each cylinder every evening and crank a few times until the coming weekend. Should I run if off a hose? If there is water still in the crankcase what is the easiest way to get out without causing damage? Can I pull the plugs and blow compressed air through either the intake or spark plug threads (are there reeds to worry about)?

2) The motor mounts are no longer available. There are used ones available (I'm not keen on used mounts) and aftermarket ones available. Has anyone used the aftermarket ones and know anything about their durability?

Ski is in decent shape but is 17 years old this month. I'm concerned about engine preservation as I am NOT willing to dump A LOT of money in for an engine rebuild on such a geriatric ski. Any suggestions appreciated!

re: mounts, you can find good used ones, don't be afraid of used in this case, your looking at a basic ski, you can get aftermarket ones, even the fancy ones, but this isn't a racing ski or a serious wave jumper, just get standard used motor mounts and roll with it.
all720 was right, hit up those two sellers and you'll be happy.
re: ski, water, etc, it really really needs to hit the water and actually run to dry out the crank, if you don't get it out asap your going to rust up.
i would not wait until the weekend.
fogging and starting frequently is good, but running it good and hard for an hour or so is recommended.
let me say this one more time...
i would not wait until the weekend, you gotta hit the water and run this pup but if your motor mounts are f'd then you might just have to be content with frequent starts until you can resolve that issue and then get it out on the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill say it one more time too....Get it out and run it!

Problem is you need some motor mounts. I got sets of 4 for $35 and they are fresh water.

Do what you are doing till you get some mounts....twice to 3 times a day if possible. Make sure the engine gets nice and hot...not too hot....about a min to a min and a half...and make sure to brap the hell out of it and bounce it off the rev limiter. Lots of fogging oil sprayed into carbs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back