96 Seadoo XP Acting WIERD!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thejacksonkid910

Hey, Im new to the whole forum thing. But it seems to be a lot of help.
So heres my problem. We just replaced the fuel lines from in our 96 seadoo xp, along with cleaning the carbs blah blah blah. So today we take it out, and it rides great for and hour or two, then all of a sudden my buddy was riddin and the ski made a thump and and slowed down. Afterwards he turned it off and waved me down. When i came over, i cranked it up, the engine sounded fine and sounded like the rpms were at the right level for full throttle, but would only run around 10 mph. I intially i thought something may have lodged in the impeller, but when i got it home, nothing was there, the throttle cables were fine, fuel lines fine, everything looks fine. Somebody help me!!!

i looked at the impeller and there was nothing lodged in there if thats what your asking. as for checking the wear ring. i have no idea how

look in the back of the pump at the gap between the impeller and the side of the housing. that housing has a plastic ring and that is the wear ring. the gap should be a little less than the thickness of a dime. otherwise the water goes through that gap and you loose the power of the pump

so basically the distance between the wear ring and the blades of the impeller should be less than the thickness of a dime. or have i miss understood you

Yes i just had to replace one. When its bad it will have no power. They are pretty easy to replace. Look at it from both sides through the back of the pump and though the intake grate from the bottom

If your rpms are where they are supposed to be at WOT, but you're doing 10mph....then that means your impeller is spinning at that speed as well. This is a direct drive unit. The ONLY thing it can be is the jet drive and propulsion system, IE) as mentioned....wear ring or a smoked impeller. If the engine is at the rpm where it should be and the shaft is not slipping in the impeller splines...you have a jet drive issue. Prolly sucked something up (that was the thud) and then the wear ring got torn up maybe even out. I just did mine and it was not hard, just a process and some elbow grease! Good luck

ok so i just took a look at the wear ring, it does not look as though there is too much distance between the blades of the impeller and the wear ring itself. to be honest it looks like the is barely any room. although there are deep scratches in the wear ring surface. is this whats causing my problems?

ok so i just took a look at the wear ring, it does not look as though there is too much distance between the blades of the impeller and the wear ring itself. to be honest it looks like the is barely any room. although there are deep scratches in the wear ring surface. is this whats causing my problems?

I just did the wear ring on my GSX and from the rear with a flashlight up into the jet pump, it looked fine, BUT when I took it apart, there were chunks missing from the back side where you cannot see. Now, for yours to be WOT and engine running fine, you have to have a jet drive issue. Small scratches will not limit speed to 10mph. That would be a major wear ring disentigration

The only way it can be a slipping shaft is if the splines on either the engine end or impeller end are wound out totally and I'd think if they were, you'd be getting some serious noise from the drive-line as you rev'd it.

Are you SURE that the intake grate is not blocked by some obstruction? Are you SURE that the engine IS reving normally too? Not just reading the tach but listening to it, does it SOUND like it is reving normally?

whole new issue

okay. found the answer to the problems. i took off the flywheel cover to take a look at the drive shaft. and BAM! one of the straps that holds the gas tank in place has come off and become stuck and wrapped and in all hell of a mess around the flywheel. it seems as though its stuck in there too what could this have caused? or is the strain of the strap simply keeping the flywheel from turning at full speed

okay. found the answer to the problems. i took off the flywheel cover to take a look at the drive shaft. and BAM! one of the straps that holds the gas tank in place has come off and become stuck and wrapped and in all hell of a mess around the flywheel. it seems as though its stuck in there too what could this have caused? or is the strain of the strap simply keeping the flywheel from turning at full speed

LORD, go figure that one huh? LOL! I am surprised the starter could spin the engine! That is the 787 engine (same as mine) and the mag cover covers the flywheel and stator so I am confused how a strap got around the flywheel??? Nothing turns up front on the engine, it is under a cover. Now, are you sure you don't mean the PTO on the back where the driveshaft goes through the hull? That has a cover but it is somewhat exposed as well. Never the less, clean it up really good and fix your strap, I doubt you damaged anything long as you got to it quickly and did not sit there all day and WOT it and overheat and melt something from that strap and the friction it was causing. On my GSX the gas tank is on the front and TOTALLY opposite end of the craft than the PTO. How is the XP set up....I'm thinking that was a FREAK think to have occured for sure but excellent find....nothing too major thank god!

LORD, go figure that one huh? LOL! I am surprised the starter could spin the engine! That is the 787 engine (same as mine) and the mag cover covers the flywheel and stator so I am confused how a strap got around the flywheel??? Nothing turns up front on the engine, it is under a cover. Now, are you sure you don't mean the PTO on the back where the driveshaft goes through the hull? That has a cover but it is somewhat exposed as well. Never the less, clean it up really good and fix your strap, I doubt you damaged anything long as you got to it quickly and did not sit there all day and WOT it and overheat and melt something from that strap and the friction it was causing. On my GSX the gas tank is on the front and TOTALLY opposite end of the craft than the PTO. How is the XP set up....I'm thinking that was a FREAK think to have occured for sure but excellent find....nothing too major thank god!

Yes, he's talking about the flywheel cover over the PTO flywheel.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back