96 GTX what is this?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pic of housing hitting threaded top. View attachment 46516
Been there and I even posted a question about it like you just did. IT WILL COME OFF. No need to remove the exhaust manifold. Keep turning it and gently playing with it and you'll wonder how you did it. Re-installing it is the same BS. LOL Good Luck man !!

Oh well.... too late I see. I did two of these and didn't pull the exhaust manifold on either one. Make a note of it for future reference. One day I'm gonna make a video. LOL

Last edited:
Been there and I even posted a question about it like you just did. IT WILL COME OFF. No need to remove the exhaust manifold. Keep turning it and gently playing with it and you'll wonder how you did it. Re-installing it is the same BS. LOL Good Luck man !!

Oh well.... too late I see. I did two of these and didn't pull the exhaust manifold on either one. Make a note of it for future reference. One day I'm gonna make a video. LOL

As you can see the OP has the wrong valve with a longer stem so the exhaust had to come off.

I would order two of the updated “slotted “ valves and new housings.

You really had some wrong parts on that.

I would also use the access space to change the 3/32” oil injection lines now since yours are original and could break costing you an engine.

Ha ha... nope never noticed the longer stem. That would have chapped mah azz if I found that on my ski. . :) But you never know who worked on those babies. Prepare to be surprised.

Still though... the proper ones seem like they won't come off so... it is relevant. I have to fight every one for a bit before they come off.

Last edited:
Yes thank you! Since I got it all taken apart I will change every hose now and probably do a carb rebuild. Got the new rave valve's on order. Thanks everyone for the help.

Order a new exhaust valve housing and gaskets. Put together tonight and went to install it and realised this cylinder housing has been replaced and the exhaust valve housing is larger than stock 96 gtx exhaust valve housing. It's different than the other rave valve. What model is this and what part number for gasket and rubber o ring? See pic.20200303_212416.jpg

Bottom is stock 96 GTX. Top is the larger that fits the newer cylinder housing. Cylinder housing has number 6923 840 stamped on the side. 20200303_213447.jpg

Nvrmind it's from a 1999 gsx part number 290931670. Rubber gasket style only according to manual. Got it on order. Guess I'll move onto fuel lines tonight.

Not sure where you are on figuring things out. Anytime I hear about a GTX and rave valves I throw this bulletin out there incase it helps. It sounds like you are fighting an odd situation.Screenshot_20200303-190729_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20200303-190736_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20200303-190741_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20200303-190746_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• SeaDoo 1997 RAVE Hesitation TSB.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I think someone might have thrown on a RFI cylinder which isn't going to work because you have no way to activate the RAVE valve.

I don't have any RFI cylinders to verify but this is what I am suspecting.

@etemplet might have one around.

When I replace the cylinder housing ba cb k to rfi do I need to replace the cylinder? Maybe I should do a full top end rebuild while I have it apart.

ski ran great all summer until yesterday. Everything I went full throttle it felt like it was flooding the engine and running rich. Top speed would cut out and sputter. Low - 3/4 throttle felt fine. Also took on so much water after that had to get towed back. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back