96 GTX Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banks1

Don't know if anyone has experienced this or has an answer.My 96 GTX, 787 engine will sputter and not pick up speed or RPMs for anywhere from 10 to 15 min when first in the water. Feels like a bad miss or almost like running on one cylinder. After about 10 or 15 minutes of slowly giving it gas (and a lot of patience) it will take off and run fine. Might sputter a time or two but for the most part runs fine. At full throttle I'm getting about 45mph at just under 7000 RPMs, not sure if that is where it should be or not. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I Once went through a salad bowl,literally of plugs, changed everything, coil, went through the carbs, and on a crazy whim , put in a new battery, and, bingo, problem solved,
so now. I always start at the battery. The battery had enuf to start the ,motor, the spark was enuf, yellow, ..but that was it. And I make sure that any jobs that come in, are fully charged ( 12.7 V). And then I do a. Load test! Remove the easiest thing from your equation.

Most of the time, your symptoms are fuel/carb related.

I'm glad you posted this POPPS. I had a 2001 GTX RFI on the water for testing a few weeks back and it would run fine, followed by a few seconds of "I wonder if it is gonna take off or kill" then it would run fine again. After going through the fuel system as we needed I started the ski and it wasn't too happy about turning over. I put a one hour charge on the battery and tested it..... the battery was at 51% charge. I'll look at the batteries from now on.... first. :) What are you using to load test? I Have a small computer battery tester that works very well but sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of the data.

If the battery checks out then I would go to fuel system.

That ski should be topping out at 55 mph, not 45 mph so you have an issue.

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong and thinking 951. Top speed should be around 51-52 on that ski.

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted this POPPS. I had a 2001 GTX RFI on the water for testing a few weeks back and it would run fine, followed by a few seconds of "I wonder if it is gonna take off or kill" then it would run fine again. After going through the fuel system as we needed I started the ski and it wasn't too happy about turning over. I put a one hour charge on the battery and tested it..... the battery was at 51% charge. I'll look at the batteries from now on.... first. :) What are you using to load test? I Have a small computer battery tester that works very well but sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of the data.
I just had a battery load tested yesterday....a load tester is a hand held contraption that puts a LOAD on the battery (some kind of resistive load that will actually generate some heat in the tester, yes I felt it and it was getting hot), the load tester also indicates battery voltage and can diagnose weak/dead cell conditions.

Also, as mikidymac has stated...something is probably not right with the fuel system/carbs...the ski should do better than 45 mph easy......

I've tested 3 GTX RFIs (2) 1999's and a 2001. all of them get 48mph on the GPS. I've never seen 50. One I did the top end and the other a complete engine but those were not broken in.

The 96 GTX is VERY sensitive to correct battery voltage. If you have a weak or discharged battery, the voltage will drop too low during cranking to fire the CDI. Make sure you have a fully charged known good battery. I learned this the hard way. Doubt that this is the OP problem though, as his starts just runs badly

Thanks for the suggestions, the battery never crossed my mind. I will start there and see what happens. I've checked the fuel lines and all seemed fine.

I had very similar issues/symptoms with a rectifier that was going bad. It would alternate between running fine and running as though one cylinder was gone (which unfortunately I have also experienced).

I had very similar issues/symptoms with a rectifier that was going bad. It would alternate between running fine and running as though one cylinder was gone (which unfortunately I have also experienced).
Replaced rectifier and it ran like a top, you're a genius!! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back