RESTO 96 GTX Missfire Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seawolf18

We took our GTX out tonight, and it is having some missing issues. When you crank the throttle open from low speed and put the engine under heavy load it starts missing and bogging really bad. It also wont rev over 4500 rpm or so. If I ease on the throttle I can get it to plane out. Once its planed out, it acts normal with no missing and lots of power to the rev limiter.

I inspected the plug wires, and they look to be in pretty good shape. Plugs were replaced last year with NGKs. Thats all i could look at tonight before it got dark. It ran really good before it was put away last year. What could be causing this?

These problems are usually fuel related. If you pull the choke while it’s bogging, does it take off, or does it try to die? You’re probably looking at a fuel system overhaul including a new selector switch, o ring for the water seperator, fuel lines if they haven’t been done already, and carb rebuilds with only genuine Mikuni parts and new needles and seats. I know that sounds like a lot, but it can be done in an afternoon for less than $200 all in, and you’ll be trouble free for several more seasons...

The other thing to check is the rectifier. You can unplug the red wire going to the voltage regulator. The battery will not charge like this, so it’s just for testing purposes, but if the rectifier is bad, it will run fine with that wire disconnected...

I think i found the issue. The rear carb was all plugged up. The front carb wasn't too bad though. The selector valve was full of green as well.
99da1c120a91fe3d54e2dbfcf96fe4d6.jpg

Make sure you replace that selector rather than just cleaning it... Generally once you’ve sprayed solvent through them, the rubber will get brittle and they’ll start leaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back