95XP drive shaft seals/bearings (in hull)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankM

Hello all,

Looking for recommendations on repairing/preventative maintenance on drive shaft.

Recently picked up two 95 xp 717s both are all stock, appear very low hr lightly used, garage kept (I believe the PO very clean). Fuel lines have been replaced from the grey lines I have read about on here. Compression in all 4 cyl (both skis) just over 150.

Rode them about 5 times maybe 4 tanks of fuel. Unfortunately I was unaware the grease fittings needed to be hit every 10hrs (according to an online manual I read) When flushing the motors after last ride I noticed smoke and heard squeaking coming from the aft seal carrier and the bow side seal was pushed out/forward on the shaft. Ski rode fine and shaft still spins freely and doesn't appear to wobble/shake. Think I caught it early enough.

I would appreciate any recommendations on replacing this part/parts (where I can get them) and if I should be replacing other high wear parts or thru hulls while I have it apart. Is a driveshaft kit available? Would it be worth it considering what seem to be low hr skis? From the parts catalog I found it appears to have quite a few parts associated with the driveshaft.

Thanks,
Frank

Hello all,

Looking for recommendations on repairing/preventative maintenance on drive shaft.

Recently picked up two 95 xp 717s both are all stock, appear very low hr lightly used, garage kept (I believe the PO very clean). Fuel lines have been replaced from the grey lines I have read about on here. Compression in all 4 cyl (both skis) just over 150.

Rode them about 5 times maybe 4 tanks of fuel. Unfortunately I was unaware the grease fittings needed to be hit every 10hrs (according to an online manual I read) When flushing the motors after last ride I noticed smoke and heard squeaking coming from the aft seal carrier and the bow side seal was pushed out/forward on the shaft. Ski rode fine and shaft still spins freely and doesn't appear to wobble/shake. Think I caught it early enough.

I would appreciate any recommendations on replacing this part/parts (where I can get them) and if I should be replacing other high wear parts or thru hulls while I have it apart. Is a driveshaft kit available? Would it be worth it considering what seem to be low hr skis? From the parts catalog I found it appears to have quite a few parts associated with the driveshaft.

Thanks,
Frank
Sounds like you are describing the carbon seal around the drive shaft....see attached blow up diagram....new kits are available...

Attachments

• 20190819145952.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 6
Sounds like you are describing the carbon seal around the drive shaft....see attached blow up diagram....new kits are available...
all skis will make some noise when out of the water, if i remember correctly 96 and up used the carbon seal excluding the 95 hx? i tend not to run mine out of the water for more then 30 seconds, and don't flush them during the season since I run them in freshwater.

Yours has the carrier bearing and it should be replaced if it is going out or it will tear the through hull fitting out and your ski will sink.

OSD Seadoo sells replacement carrier bearings.

See correct diagram from 1995 service manual...ignore previous file (that was for 1996)

Attachments

• 20190819154826.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 8
I have the same diagram. Part #s 7, 9 (double lip seal and needle bearing) that appear to fit into 8 (seal carrier) is the problem area. Also noticed part # 5 (clamp click) is missing on rubber boot. Haven't started taking it apart, this is all I can see right now pics attached.20190819_165549.jpg20190819_165615.jpg

That inner clamp is not an emergency, just get one on there soon to keep the grease in the boot.

If the front seal worked it's way out then it's time to take the pump, drive line out and replace the seal.

Like Mikidymac said, go to OSD. You can find entire assemblies on ebay for less than the cost of one oem seal. Might as well replace the entire unit. I think I paid $25 for mine.

Weird observation, does that pto rubber boot, look a little close to the seal carrier, (not much drive shaft showing), or is it just the viewing angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back