95XP 717 hard starting when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

First post of the 2013 season, and looking for some help from the experts! My 95 xp is having a hard time starting. I started having the problem last year, but it’s time to do something about it. It runs fine once it’s started, just seems take a lot of cranking to get it here. This happens both in and out of the water.
Fuel lines were replaced in 2011, fuel selector cleaned, clear fuel filter installed, battery is new, and the carb was rebuilt by a mechanic friend last year. Now, one of the bolts holding the carb onto the manifold was seized up when I tried to remove it, and I had to beat the hell out of the thing to get the bolt out of the carb, including heat, impact, etc. I was about to give up and replace I when I found someone who was able to bore the bolt out. I’m just wondering if maybe some damage wasn’t done when trying to remove the bolt?

I rebuilt my 97spx 800 carb last year, and it’s running great. So, I’m confident I can rebuild the 720 myself again if necessary.

To get to my question, is it worth rebuilding this carb again? How easily is a carb ‘damaged’ trying to remove the seized bolt? Is a primer kit the way to go? Any other suggestions?

Since you only have trouble starting when the ski is cold, it could be something simple. Check the choke cable, make sure the choke is closing all the way.

You could add a primer system, however I don't feel that it's necessary, I've never had a problem starting one with the choke system.

Lou

Choke is definitely working, I can kill the engine by closing it (when running), and can hear the change when cranking when trying to start. Had the problem again yesterday, in the drive way, started right up like a brand new ski. At the boat ramp, 45 minutes later, still out of the water, had to coax the hell out of it. Once in the water started right up. After riding then sitting a few hours, did not want to start, took a good ten minutes of coaxing to get it going. Once it started, rode for 2-3 minutes before killing it, and it started up immediately.

I was thinking like Lou at first...like all that bolt beating mechanically affected the choke. Now I'm sorry but I have to suspect that your mechanic friend may have missed something in the carbs. Great general mechanics will not nail it the first time without specific tests to these like pop off psi. Your ski has like the highest I've run across at 52psi.

And this morning, after sitting all night, started up with barely a touch of the Start button.

I'm thinking along the same lines at this point, time to tear the carbs back apart and see if something isn't right. Do you think it's necessary to buy another rebuild kit? Or just make sure everything is seated and re-assembled correctly? I don't mind spending the money on the kit if I need too. The carb that I rebuilt in my 800 is running like a top (thanks to the How Too's on this site, of course!)

Just an update on this...Tore the carbs out. Before even removing them completely, I noticed gas on the bottom of the fuel pump. Cranked it with my hand under the fuel inlet, and could feel liquid coming out. Hoping that's what was causing it, I'm guessing it just wasn't mated very well. The carbs in general seem to be in really good condition, to my untrained eye.

Took everything out, checked pop off, re seated and re-assembled everything. Firing up much easier, and am not noticing anything coming out of the bottom of the fuel pump. Firing right up now, but that's not rare in the driveway. We'll see what happens next weekend. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Back to the drawing board on this one. Still having the same problem. After sitting all week, starts great in the driveway. Get to the lake, still on the trailer, and it doesn't want to start. Once started, drop it in the water, it starts right up. Runs fantastic. Sits for a few hours, and won't start. Once started, I can stop it, and it starts right back up.

I just ordered a primer kit. Hope I'm going in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back