951 jets...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SabrToothSqrl

So as many of you know my 02 XP with new engine, reeds, and carbs is topping out at 6k.

I get to 6k at approx 80% throttle. The last 10-20% throttle has NO affect on the RPM. it will redline without load.

There is no crazy pull like my 02 GTX has.

So I pulled the carbs, they came in a WSM box and said 1998 GTX LTD in them. They are seadoo 951 OEMs

I had to swap the choke cable pull to use them in my XP. I also tonight changed the throttle pull plate.

I think I found something. I never messed with the carbs on my own before. But I figure it's time to learn.

New carbs:
Pilot: 82.5
Main: 165

2002 carbs
Pilot: 75
Main: 157.5

The interwebs says I should have

Pilot: 75
Main: 162.5

What do I do?! The whoe ski is stock but the prop, a concord 15/20.

The springs on both are shiny silver and the Needle is 2.0 in the 2002, I will have to check the 'newer' ones.

Could this be my missing RPM? The engine seems to foul plugs.

I run stock of 1.5 low and 0 high.

Thanks Guys, figure I'd give this a shot before scrapping it.

My 02 GTX is stock, 60 hrs, 6,810 WOT and 63-65 MPH on GPS. All stock but the Solas 15/20.

So why won't my XP spin the damn thing at 6800?! (7k stock prop).

This ski used to have an engine with a shaved head and possibly other parts. I've returned everything I know of to stock. So could the PO have messed with the original carbs? Is that why the jetting is off?

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm no expert I would say going fatter in the main jet might give you the extra fuel at wot or it will cause it bog worse.

It's a time consuming thing to play with jetting as you know.
I found this site. May help in determining variables

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/12/carburetor-theory-and-tuning/

Whats in them now?
You have new and 2002 to compare to internets opinion.

If the 165 I would try smaller first 162.5

Not planning to play with it, just want it all STOCK.

Yup,

I remember you have OEM complex :thumbsup:
Theres always discrepancy with settings from different sources.
Its a matter of one up or down makes a huge difference.
Hence trying to play with different jet to fine tune missing rpm.

Hopefully Dr will give input.

Well, I ordered the stock jets. Hopefully get them Friday, installed fri night and on the water Saturday...

If it's all stock, it should perform all stock. that's all i want...

It looks like your pilot on the "new carbs" is too big. This would explain your lack of pull while trying to accelerate and the ski fouling plugs. This is the first time I've heard you say that it fouls plugs. Would have suggested jetting sooner with that info. The OEM size jets will definately make a difference.

Ok, thanks for confirming.

I'm not sure they are fouling, they look bad to me, but the ones in my all stock GTX look worse, and it runs 100% perfectly...

I never had the guts to tear into my carbs before, always paid someone else to do it, I figured it was about time to learn!

WOW... you were lean on top if it had a 157.5 in it. Directy from the '02 manual:

Pilot 75
Mains 162.5
Spring 95g
Low 1-1/2
High 0

Now... that carb that was on it... if you had the high screw opened about a half turn... it would have been fine. But, knowing how fragile the 951 engines are... I'm surprised it didn't melt down. Whenever I work on carbs... I always verify the jetting. You never know where and who worked on it before.

is the 95g spring the shiney silver one? that's on both sets of my carbs, with the part under it having a 2.0 on it...

OK, so maybe this is why I'm missing power?

I have ordered the ones you listed, as that's what I found to be stock for a 02XP.

I have crossed every finger I have for this.... thanks!

The Carbs I had on it were the 'new' ones, supposedly rich (165 vs 162.5).

I tried both sets, clearly neither was correct for a stock engine.

is the 95g spring the shiney silver one? that's on both sets of my carbs, with the part under it having a 2.0 on it...

OK, so maybe this is why I'm missing power?

I have ordered the ones you listed, as that's what I found to be stock for a 02XP.

I have crossed every finger I have for this.... thanks!

The Carbs I had on it were the 'new' ones, supposedly rich (165 vs 162.5).

I tried both sets, clearly neither was correct for a stock engine.

I've got $1 you were just too rich. The 162.5 should get you close and as Dr said once there open the HS to see if it gets worse then your good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back