951 Fuel line Question...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadone

Bought a 2000 GTX with the 947/951 engine, it was a bit of a mess but I think it's getting close... Anyway, whoever had the ski before me must have tried to replace the fuel lines and never got it right afterwords. After getting the ski to crank but no gas I decided to take a peek at the baffle. All the hoses are incorrectly attached, ie. the return from the carb goes to the fuel filter, the vent is the only line connected to the fuel selector, ect... I thought I might buy a new selector (they are pretty cheap) and rerun the fuel lines. Are they all 5/16 lines except the return fuel line? Where does the vent line run from the baffel? Is the check valve on the vent line, as I don't see one and I believe this fuel system is somewhat pressurized..
Thanks in advance..

Thanks, Think I've got it. took off the crusty old fuel selector and ordered a new one, but the vent line, as it was, is gone all together. Where did it attach to the hull? Looks to go into the hull in two places from the diagram, but I have no idea where... There is one line from the hull in the front on the right side (looking from front to back) but it is small, and currently runs to the back of the ski. It is not attached to anything, I assumed it was for the battery vent? I can figure out where the fuel lines go, as everything it labled on the baffel, fuel selector, and even the carb, but the vent line and the valves seem to be gone all together... LOL, no wonder he was having fuel delivery issues! I'd appreciate any help.. Trying to get this thing wet before it gets too cold!

The Fuel Bafel vent line runs to a "Y" #47, then splits to an in breath line that goes
upward to the check valve & consol bugel, the out breath line goes to the check valve & out rub-rail port. The check valves are one way, so orient the direction accordingly, so the tank can breath in when gas is used, or breath out any over pressure. When the out check valve gets clogged, the extreme tank over pressure can over-take the carburetor's needle valve and flood gas into the cases.

Actually, now I'm thinking that line is one of the check valves, as there is a rubber grommet on the opposite side with nothing in it. Thinking one valve on each side from the T... Guess I'm gonna give that a shot. Not sure which I have, but it's black n red. Let me know if you've ever replaced one of these.. This thing better crank when I'm finished:cuss:

Fuel System completion

The check valves #18 & #37 open at 3-5 lbs psi. Allowing the air flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what/ where is a consol bugel? Headed to the ski now to see if I missed something under the console....

Prime your system by removing the return & supply fuel lines and air chuck lightly into the return line until gas flows from your supply, then re-attach and start engine.
Too much pressure will blow the fuel separator bowl off. Attach supply first, apply a
little pressure to return and check connections for any gas leak. Hope it passes test.

Most go up to top by stearing column and under where front hood opens, and protected. Open hood and look for rubber bugle.

Thanks, I think I'm Headed in the right direction now, I have to re-arrange all these hoses as they were all hooked up incorrectly. I'm hoping not getting any fuel kept the last owner from doing too much damage. Going to make a new vent line, pick up a T to split to the opposing valves. Prime and pray. I'll take a pic tomorrow of what I'm looking at. Had enough gas fume fun for the evening. Thanks a lot for your help!

So today since I had the whole thing pulled apart I did the gas gauge fuse fix (http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=5826).. Fuel level now shows perfectly! Couldn't believe how easy that was, of course it's a lot easier when you've already got the ski partially dissasembled. Waiting on my new fuel selector (Friday) and guess I'm gonna have to pony up and go to SeaDoo and oreder the vent check valves... I was hoping I could find a stock substitute at an auto-parts or Home Depot, but no such luck. If you know of anywhere else to get these valves, let me know... Otherwise, When the parts come in we shall see.. Guess I can hook up the new selector and hoses minus the check valves and make sure I have a good seal on friday, Maybe even prime and run it with my finger holding the vent to see if she'll crank at all...

Got the ski to start today, runs under it own gas which is a bonus! Replaced most of the fuel lines and re-routed the to and from where they are supposed to be, cranked it a few times and it fired up. Fired up too much in fact, the throttle cable was stuck and i had to pull the key. Tried to fix the cable, but to no avail so I ordered a used one off ebay and dissconnected it. Fired the ski up again and noticed exhaust coming out under the big black exhaust pipe, I believe it is coming from the v clamp fitting. It is hard to tell without continuing to run it, but I don't want to screw it up more than it is... Any Ideas? Should I just get a new exhaust gasket and redo the v-clamp? The connection at the engine is tight... Hope that cranking it a few times with the exhaust leak didn't damage anything..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I would put in a new seal ring, maybe some high temp RTV sealant, and reinstall the clamp and tighten down bolt enough such that an inch of threads are showing.

Hope that cranking it a few times with the exhaust leak didn't damage anything..

This should have done no damage to your engine at all. Clean both surfaces well and make sure you use the sealant as per the spec. Also, while you have it off, looks for cracks in the tuned pipe and tuned pipe cone in that area just to be sure your assumption of a bad seal really is the culprit.

Here is a nice link which part of, explains how to make a good seal at this point.
http://www.sea-doo.net/techArticles/techArticles.asp?page=april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back