95 XP Engine Rebuild Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

earnhardtjp

I have a rode hard and put up wet 717/720 engine that has spent all of its life on the salt water and needs to be rebuilt. I like the X4 hull and want to keep it but I am not too wild on this particular motor. The 787 XP 800 is what I would like to put in my SeaDoo so does anyone know what is required for the conversion to take place and or cost? Also are there 720/787 kits out there that one can purchase that has everything for the swap? Thanks for the help.

this is a tough one. you have to change all of the electronics. engine, obviously. most or all of the exhaust. the pump will work, but you will want more impeller when you get it right. i am pretty sure the bed plate for the 787 sits on different mounts, but the mounts sit on the same 8 holes in the ski. the 787 mpem is dess. you have to mount a dess stud where your lanyard switch is now. when you are done, you will have a 96-7 ski that looks like a 95. i wouldn't recommend this big an undertaking.

Xp 800?

For that year, Seadoo manafactured 2 XP's.......one, was the standard model with the 717cc engine and then, they made the XP800. Which was the same ski but with the 787cc engine.
As Derek has said, to change an engine in the Bombardier watercraft, you'd have to change everything but the pump. The single stage axial pump was the same used on many year model craft, including boats.
For it to be a 95 model, the benefit verses the cost isn't logical.:cheers:

it is worse than that. i have a 97 GTI. comes with a 720. the same hull comes with a 787. i just looked at my 787 97 SPX. it doesn't use a bed plate. has a rear mount that mounts to pto end of motor with 2 mounting plates-one on each side on hull. the front is a single mount in front of the engine. there is a flat area built into the hull for this mount. my GTI which also used this motor doesn't have it. means Bombardier had no intention of making these things remotely similar. unless you are going to fabricate motor mount bosses into your hull the 787 Will Not Fit.

I was thinking that it would be a big task and costly. The reasonable solution now would be to have the motor rebuilt. With that said what can I add to this motor to increase HP and what company? Maybe exhaust piston work nitrous? Well kidding on the nitrous but anything else? Thanks

I don't think it would be worth it to try to get more HP from the older unit, new engine or not. If that was the case...I'd just buy a newer faster seadoo.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back