95 xp dead in the water at almost wot..

Status
Not open for further replies.
20130425_132057_resized.jpg
Ok so I had today off and took the Rotary valve off and sure enough, Rotary valve is stuck over the PTO intake and is not engaged with the crank. I also found a piece of what looks like a brass bearing seat stuck on the underside of the Valve.. So I guess I need to look for another motor.. This blows.. $300 for less than an hour of running. FML any ideas?

Sorry to hear that. I am assuming you are saying the rotary shaft is siezed? Are you running premix or oil injection?

Sent using Tapatalk

Rotary valves aren't that expensive online. Looks like you had something seize your rotary valve and it probably just sheared off the brass gear inside. If you pull it out, you should be able to flush all the crap out of there and get away with just putting in a new rotary shaft. I'm not sure how bad your RV case surface is, looked like you had a few nicks on it. You MIGHT get away with that. Also, It looked to me like your RV ports were elongated. Is that how the 787's are, or was your motor ported?

20130525_173437 (1).jpg20130525_182703.jpg
So I did a bottom end teardown and found both good and bad news. As I suspected the Rotary valve was toast as well as there was a piece of the PTO side shaft thrust washer that looks like it has pieces sheared from it (not missing just pieces sheered) see pic. But with that I have another issue. The steal r-valve gear in the center of the crank has been shifted towards the PTO side. So to my question. Can the center steal gear be re-centered on the crank? If so.. How? I know that thrust washer will probably be the aquiles heal of this motor but right now everything is smooth and currently within spec on the shaft aside from the visual eyesore so while I wait for my new shaft I'm thinking Ill just run it till it fries which Im guessing could be anywhere between 5minutes and 5 years give or take... lol

The metal flakes and that washer would give me pause. I guess it depends on what the ski cost you and what it would be worth to you with a blown engine. I would be leaning toward a rebuild but I'm talking about your money not mine, lol. Good luck with it.

Kevin

I would say you found a lot more bad news than good news. It will be closer to 5 minutes than 5 years would be my guess. The center gear is pressed on and will be difficult to re-center, but a machine shop can do it. You really should buy a rebuilt crank and do it right, but if you're intent on just fixing you should be able to get it all back together and running. The chunk missing out of the washer won't hurt anything as long as the bearings are still good, which I would say are suspect at this point.

I completely agree with both you guys, but honestly at this point I've got 200 in this ski when all is said and done and I more or less wanna just see if I could do it.. the bearrings are smooth and I can see them through the oil inlet on the crank and they look clean so I think ill be fine #for a bit# at least until I get my new crank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back