95 SP thru hull fitting replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbitter

I have a 95 SP that has not been in the water for 5 years. I fired it up and it ran well but I noticed that the rear hose clamp on the large black hose where the drive shaft exits the hull was extremely hot. I'm guess that the that the drive shaft to thru hull fitting is rusty due to the none use for 5 years although the ski was always garaged.
Question No.1 - Is my assumption above correct?
Question No. 2 - I ordered a thru the hull fitting (Part #292000075) and need to know have to replace it. My repair manual does not cover this.
Thanks for any help. Bobby

First, welcome to the best SeaDoo forum.

Although it is generally safe to run the engine out of water if you keep the run time to less than a minute (my personal rule is 30 seconds) else you will overheat and ruin the thru hull seal. This run-time rule applies even if you have the reverse-flush in use (remembering the rules: engine on, water on, water off, engine off)

YouTube has been found to be a treasure trove of maintenance videos for all kinds of SeaDoo stuff. Else if you snoop around on this site there is probably a thread that covers it, but I have not personally done this task. Someone will jump in and help you out.

As a general suggestion for the older skis: clean out the fuel system to prevent serious problems.

I assume you have a Carbon Seal setup (CS) on your ski.

If so, it will get HOT when run out of the water. As mentioned above, one minute really should be the max. And this is true on or off a garden hose as well as the ONLY time the CS gets cooling is when it is in the water. The water you are sitting on is what cools the CS.

95 is still a bearing system, to replace the thruhull fitting remove the pump and the driveshaft, take a hacksaw or a sawzall and cut off the plastic tube.
Get some two part epoxy, jb weld or the type in the dual tube but not the quick set stuff, take some coarse sandpaper and rough the remains of the old thru hull fitting, mix up the epoxy and put it both on the inside of the old tube and on the outside of the new one, knock the new thru hull fitting in with a hammer and a block of wood or with a rubber mallet.

Let it dry and reassemble, before reassembly I would get and install new shaft bearings and seals and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back