95 GTX Starting Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so on my 95 GTX (runs/rides great) has occasional problems when trying to start.

*Ussually it cranks without issues.

*Sometimes it will engage the starter and immediately just stop. (a good "clunk" and then silence) Press the start/stop two more times and it will do either of the above.

**RARELY (maybe once a week, we ride it every day) it will go clunk and then just be completely dead. Hitting the start/stop is fruitless, no matter how many times you do it. (switch is definitely good) The only way to bring it back to life is to pull the 5amp fuse from the mpem and put it right back in. It's never blown **knock on wood** I've noticed that it's more likely to occur when someone just hits the start button and doesn't hold it, I would say that 9/10 not holding it will cause the problem.

Not that this is a big problem for me (I can reset it in about 2 minutes now since I've stopped putting the box back in correctly) but my wife absolutely loses it and threatens to just pull the drain plug and call it good.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, theres too much foam flotation in the hull, so just pulling the drain plug won't do it. it would have catch fire and then sink to really do it. even then its not worth much so probably don't do that.

the 5A fuse having to be pulled could mean that the MPEM is starting to have issues and will let go soon. I would check and clean all of your electrical connections before condemning the MPEM. If you need a new MPEM, minnetonka4me parts out skis and probably has one on the shelf for a reasonable price.

edit: one more thing: when you park it for the night, do you pull the key off or does it stay on all the time?

You need to go through your connections very well. It could be a bad cable as well. I'd remove each end of the POS and NEG cables, wiggle them around. If they crunch or white powder comes out, they need replaced. If not, clean the ends well with a wire brush or sand paper. Clean where they mount as well. Reinstall using dielectric grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back