95 gtx stalling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ochem

bought this ski in 2017, posted about it back then. Rebuilt the carb with genuine mikuni kit, replace fuel selector, fuel lines and the ski has been running great the last couple of years, until the end of the season last year. At full throttle the engine would stall randomly. It would start up again without any issues. but randomly stall, almost always at full throttle. I'm guessing a carb issue, but wanted to check here for a particular part on the carb to look at. Screws, fuel filter? any suggestion is appreciated.

The carb is a possibility, but it’s hard to tell with the information we’ve got. What does it do when it stalls, act like the key was pulled, or does it hesitate and then stop?

Yes.

Exactly what is happening?

A waiver in rpm's or slow reduction in rpm, followed by the motor shutting down.

Or

It goes from running great to off like the kill button was pressed?

Does this only happen on rough water? Or has it happened in rough and smooth? Any other similar conditions associated with each shut down that you can remember?

It just shuts down like a kill button was pressed. It only started on my last outing last summer, the water was a little rough, if I remember correctly, not crazy rough, but I was on lake Erie, so it is almost always moderately choppy.

It just shuts down like a kill button was pressed. It only started on my last outing last summer, the water was a little rough, if I remember correctly, not crazy rough, but I was on lake Erie, so it is almost always moderately choppy.
Taking a stab at it here....if she's running OK then suddenly stalls/stops.....you gotta think it's either the fuel got cut off (but it wouldn't be that sudden of a shutdown, I would think)....so, IMHO the most likely culprit is loss of spark....NO SPARK with fuel won't make the ski go. Since it is intermittant and conditions could be a contributing factor....I'd start looking at the FREE stuff first......check all your electrical connections for any corrosion, wiggle, unplug & re-plug all connectors, check your grounds, etc.....TO ME, the problem sounds and feels like ELECTRIC....electric gremlins can be frustrating to track down....so a little time and patience may be all you need to sort it out. Good Luck!

Agreed.

Check all your connections. All your water proof plugs under the dash, pull each one apart take a look for corrosion or water and put them all back together. Open the grey electric box and look for water damage, disconnect and reconnect the connections in there as well just exersize them.

Start with the connections and give it a run. Try to recreate the conditions that it shut down in the first time.

My 94 xp runs perfect, a couple of rides ago I had to pull up on the bank, tip it on it's side and pull a twig out if the impeller. When I rolled it back down it would not start at all, no spark...... I never had an issue with the spark before but something about laying on it's side for 30 seconds wiggled something. I did some basic trouble shooting but in the end I did exersize all the connections and it kicked right back on with no problems since.

I forgot which year it was (92, 93, 94) but the factory sent out a service bulletin regarding sudden motor shut off situations in choppy water. It was traced down to the design of the kill switch closing when the machine took a large hit. The fix was putting an extra electric component plugged directly in line with the kill switch circuit. This doesn't apply to your machine, but it gives you an idea of how sneaky these intermitant electrical issues can be.

Last edited:
I worked all the electrical connections, but it won't start now. Guessing a fuel delivery issue? It starts if I put a splash of fuel in the spark plug holes, but can't get it started with regular throttle/choke start. Do I need to dig into the carb? Maybe pop it off the motor and see if fuel comes out of it?

I did the following:
Checked compression: 145 and 143
fuel pump leak test passed held 4 psi for 15 seconds
pop off pressure is at the bottom end of the range: 21 psi
there was some fibrous material in the carb fuel filter that I was able to remove. It occluded maybe the bottom quarter of the filter
The pump diaphragm looked a little misshapen, but I don't think it's bad, see pic below.
There was fuel throughout the carb as I disassembled it.
The fuel filter off the fuel tank seemed clean and clear.
Anything else to check while it's apart? Should I put it back together and see what happens? Should I adjust the pop off pressure?

Also, when breaking the carb down, I think I may have lost a part. See pic below. It's one of the syncing mechanisms for the dual carb. I've got the spring (in the background of the pic). but I think I missing something more solid, Anyone got any ideas?
fuel diaphragm.jpg
carb sync.jpg

One last bump to fish for advice.
I'm a bit confused by what you called "synching mechanism" for the dual carb setup. The ONLY synching mechanism between the dual carbs is the aluminum bar with the two swivel ball ends that links the two carbs together, it is adjustable so the carb butterflies BOTH open and close simultaneously when the throttle cable is pulled or relaxed.

Your picture did not show that bar......

Can't really tell what the extra spring laying under the carb is/was???? but it looks like a pressure spring that would go on an adjustment screw of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back