95 GTX Rear Baffle Install/Sealing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

79MKII

Hello All, I can't believe I couldn't find a thread on this, but I'm looking for advice on reattaching the rear air baffle box to the hull. This is the black plastic box that lines up to the rear vents on either side of the rear tow hook. I was working on something else and the whole baffle popped off. I have purchased the specified urethane sealant, but my main concern is cleaning the old sealant off of the fiberglass. It all stayed on the body, none came off with the baffle. It seems that the sealant stuck much better to the fiberglass than it did to the ABS. Just to be sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, the part is circled in the image below. Thanks!

GTX Body Diagram II.jpg

The only mechanical connection from the baffle to the body is a small area where the tow hook passes through. There is no physical connection to the vents, so the sealant is very important in this application.

I have the same machine as you.
I didn’t have to replace it, but i had to replace the outside grill as I lose one because the rivets were old and the water pressure make poped off

Just checking back to see if anybody has any information. I will be starting the project shortly.

Sounds like your in a unique situation.

Maybe you can just use the original sealant as a guide? Get some sealant on the baffle fit it up to the old sealant then liberally apply the new sealant around the outside.

Never been in this situation personally but it sounds like it's a situation that you can wing.

As for removing the old sealant to maintain the integrity of the hull I'd say sanding is the best option. You could potentially scrape it with a putty knife or something but risk digging into the fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back