RESTO 94 sp blew up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPrider13

Was riding today and very gradually I noticed a loss of power until it died. Swam it back to shore and got it in the garage. Popped the seat and looked around. All the sudden I wiggled the air box and the whole thing was loose. I looked a little deeper and it turned out the whole mount was broken. The carb mount snapped clean off. Anyone ever seen this? While I’m waiting for a new carb I’m replacing the lines and such. Anything else I should do w the carb off? Install oil block off kit? Image1561920831.800243.jpgImage1561920864.606923.jpg

Only thing in my head that would cause this is if you hammered the screws down with an impact and the vibrations caused it to crack along with age.

I know OSD sells good carb bodies, includes everything you'd need if I remember correctly

Only thing in my head that would cause this is if you hammered the screws down with an impact and the vibrations caused it to crack along with age.

I know OSD sells good carb bodies, includes everything you'd need if I remember correctly

I’m guessing old age. Prob the original carb and sense this ski is small, it hits the water hard after jumping a wave. I’ll check out OSD and let you know how that goes. Are there any adjustment screws that I need to mess with or should it be good to go out of the box. Thx.

In addition, anyone know the part number for the carb, can’t find it anywhere. Don’t wana order anything that won’t work.

Believe it's the 38mm mikuni single right? Try PN:270500203 although it can be different from what you have right now. I'm sure others who know more about your model can help you out.

You have the square body BN-38, and the jetting and needle settings are below.

Main jet - 142.5
Pilot Jet - 65
Needle Size - 2.0
Pop Off - 22-29psi
Low Speed Needle - 1 turn out from closed
High Speed Needle - Closed

Image1562372064.210750.jpgImage1562372081.098924.jpg

The original is black and the one from osd is silver. Everything looks the same except there’s an extra flange and spring assembly on the old one. I looked to see if if I could switch over the parts but there’s no pre drilled slots to do so. Can’t seem to find one with the second flange and that has a triangle connection. Lots of square connections but no triangle. Really stumped. This carb is about to be the end of my ski. Any suggestions on where to look for the right one would be greatly appreciated.

That looks like the same carb, but without the choke butterfly assembly... Did you talk to OSD about your application before you placed the order? I’m sure they’ve got one with the choke that they can swap it out for.

Finally got a carb off a old 91 sp. I know the jets r different from the 94 so I swapped the jets from the broken carb to the one I got. Put it all back together and fuel lines are in correct spots. Go to start it and it just keeps cranking. The carb I got is in pristine condition and was just rebuilt. Any ideas on why it won’t start up? Has a full tank of 91 with stabil in it. Both low and high speed needles have been turned all the way in and backed out a turn and a half. Any help is always appreciated

I also re did the fuel lines. The line that goes from the external fuel filter should go to the top nipple of the carb and the return line should go on the bottom correct? May have had these switched.

Lines were swapped. Started up and ran OK this morning. Tried tuning high and low speeds to the best of my ability and out of water. Weirdly tho when I punched the throttle it and let off the engine continued to run at high rpm for a couple seconds even after I hit the kill switch and then when it died it had a massive back fire. Too lean or too rich and on which screw? Trying my best to tune it out of the water.

You’re way too lean if it is dieseling... You can’t tune the ski out of the water anyway, so take it back to stock settings...

So the high speed is going to be lightly seated in the closed position. The low speed you will take all the way to closed, and then back it out one full turn.

Ok so I did this and got it started. Ran okay so I hooked it up to the water and let it idle for a couple min. The to try and just clear the fuel I Reved it a couple times to about half throttle. When I let off the throttle after the second rev however, the engine held the rpms and started to rev higher. I hit the kill switch and pulled the lanyard with no success. Then something weird happened. I pulled the plugs and still nothing it kept running around 3/4 speed I suspect. Finally I shut the fuel off and it died after a couple seconds. This build is driving me crazy. Might have to take her to the shop but I’m really trying to avoid that. And tips on what the heck just happened and how to fix it would be appreciated.

From what I’ve read about engines running with out spark plugs like diesel ones is that it’s from their high compression and lean mixture which makes no sense because my low speed was one and a half turns out, more rich than factory.

Also would like to note that the carb I swapped it out with and am currently using is from a 91 sp. however, I swapped the jets from the 94 carb to the 91 carb so it is not basically the same carb

That is known as deasiling or running away. These engines will tend to do that when reved out of water. Could be an indicator of running lean as well.

Yes, runaway is a bad situation... You’re really lean if you’re experiencing this, and most likely have an air leak somewhere after the carburetor. Since you had issues with the carb mounting flange the way you did, I would suspect that it’s either at the carb base, or the manifold itself. You need to get this handled before you attempt to run the ski again.

Do you have a working choke at this point? That’s the best way to kill a motor that’s running away... If not, you can cover the exhaust outlet as a last ditch effort... Just don’t reach in and be trying to pull plug wires off or anything like that, as the motor can keep winding until it literally self destructs. If that were to happen you don’t want any body parts in close proximity!

As said above you are experiencing a lean runaway from an air leak most likely.
The engine is running so hot it doesn't need spark so pulling the plug wires or kill switch will not do anything.
To stop it you have to cool the combustion chamber so either close the chole or hold the throttle wide open and hold the stop button at the same time.

As said above you are experiencing a lean runaway from an air leak most likely.
The engine is running so hot it doesn't need spark so pulling the plug wires or kill switch will not do anything.
To stop it you have to cool the combustion chamber so either close the chole or hold the throttle wide open and hold the stop button at the same time.

Thanks for the tip. Now I’ve got to find the air leak. Could it be the gasket where the carb bolts onto the Intake manifold? I know there’s supposed to be a gasket there. Only problem is that I can’t find a 38mm mikuni carb gasket anywhere. So currently using the beat up seal that was there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back