93 GTX Will Not Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

emnettl

Help with ideas please....My 1993 SeaDoo GTX has very low hours. Wife and I take out just 2-3 times a summer. The last few seasons it has occasionally been where I have to depress the starter button more and more times to get it to crank over from the starter. When it would not start, it would just make a clicking noise which I assume was the solenoid. Eventually, it would start after 10-20 times depressing button on dash. About July this Summer, it did start just fine and I ran it for three minutes with hose attached getting ready to go to the lake. Never made it. Now, late season, we are ready to go to the lake. It just clicks, but is not engaging the starter. Not turning over at all.

I had a trickle charger on it. Battery has voltage. I even took batt down for a "load test" from battery store. Amps and voltage were told were fine I was told.

I found the negative cable with tarnished look, so I shined it up with some sandpaper.
I found the negative cable on the starter itself slightly loose and snugged it up with a socket and extension.

Still just clicking noises from I assume the solenoid.

Any ideas or similar problems and fixes are greatly appreciated.

This is my first time trying to use a forum.

Thank You - Larry

Your solenoid might not be making contact or starter is knackered. To check if it is the solenoid just short out the two big bolts on solenoid and see if it turns over. If not it might be time to change the starter motor.
All of the above assumptions dependant on all wiring cleaned and proper contact. Good luck.

I just went and bought a new negative 18" cable. Attached it with a lock washer to the starter and to the battery. Jet ski fired right up - YEA ! I had the wire ready to jumper the solenoid, but never had to crack open the plastic surrounding case it was it. Thanks again for your supporting good ideas. We are taking it to Pueblo Reservoir this weekend. Can't wait. It will be it or not our first time getting the ski in the water in the last two seasons.

If it is just one of the automotive ones they will get you by in a pinch but won't last.

You need a marine cable with sealed ends. You can buy them from people like Minnetonka4me here or make them yourself from parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back