88 XP wont crank.. Need Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohsixRXT

1988 XP will not start.. Need Help please

i am new to working on a skii but this thing was basically a gift to me. I have
been working on it for a while now and i just cant get it to start.

It has spark (new NGK's) and it sounds like its wanting to start but somthing just wont let it start. anyybody got any ideas!!??

Last edited by a moderator:
Selector valve is the valve that you use to change from the primary tank over to the reserve tank, or completly shut off the fuel supply to the engine. (usually located somewhere on/near the dash/choke) And you must replace the grey fuel lines. They deteriorate from the inside out and will plug your carbs. Odds are, they already have. You will have to take the carbs appart and clean them. There is a little internal filter that must be cleaned. If its a black filter, it should be completly replaced.

okay gotcha, but one more question, the mottor is getting alot of fuel and oil because when i removed the exhasut the manifold had alot of fuel/oil in it... is that supposed to happen?

You may not be getting any spark, so all that mixture is all unused gas/oil. Do you have spark? not new plugs, but actual spark? There is a little unused fuel usually in the exhaust...mostly oil, but if there is alot in the engine, you may have flooded it. Pull the plugs, put a rag over the plug holes and crank the starter to clear out the cylinders.

"stuff" comes out, Nasty

okay gotcha, but one more question, the mottor is getting alot of fuel and oil because when i removed the exhasut the manifold had alot of fuel/oil in it... is that supposed to happen?

You need carb re-build. Needles & seats are leaking fuel into case. Its gone
thru exhaust and mixed with carbon so just looks oily. Bill

i pulled the the whole exhaust of including the manifold or what ever and the turned it over a couple of times to get whatever was left out and when i put just the manifold back on it shot a good bit of gas out, theres no whay all that fuel should be going in?

nope gonna do that tomorrow im guessing thats what the problem is but since i had fuel/compression/spark i figured it would atleast start up. so tomorrow ima go throught the carbs and then see if it does anything

Excessive gas tank pressure can open the needle valves, and also load the lower case with gas causeing a hard start, hard to start after shut-off. The out-breath
with the one way check valve vents under the rub rail. You should not be getting a large expell when you open the gas cap, the valve opens at 3-5 lbs psi.

If your just starting it for a minute its ok. BUT not for long as it will heat up quick and the impeller bearings will get warm too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back