787 gsx carb rebuild hitting a major snag

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bigler

So I've been rebuilding this 96 gsx that blew up the counter balance shaft. I've now ran into what might be a big problem so I could use some guidance. The crank seemed to be in good shape so I decided to clean it up and put it back in. Now I have the whole engine pretty much put together and I am trying to get the flywheel on. The flywheel that was on it seemed rough so I bought a new one, I also then noticed that the flywheel that was on the ski was different. Now I'm realizing the crank that is in this machine is probably from a rfi or something which is why it has a different keyway/cone on the flywheel connection. Can I put that same flywheel on and run it or is the timing and other things going to be wrong? I have a feeling the correct anwser will be to tear it all down and put a new crank in but that would suck at this point
16895362120188066005055964700495.jpg
16895359850341859256721176878144.jpg

So, take your original crank, put the original flywheel and stator cup on it. Look in the manual so you get the stator cup on correctly. Then do the same with RFI crank. put the MAG piston at TDC. Mock up the crank that's not in the engine at TDC. Check the stator, the little "nubs" on the side of the stator, are they in the same locations on both stators? AS in this is just a reference for numbers speak, are they both at 1 o'clock? if they're in the same position, I'd say it should work. Just check all the positions in reference to the key on the crank. Skidoo (snowmobile division of BRP) back in the day used to offset the key way in the cranks so you couldn't interchange parts. Seadoo I'm hoping just changed the snout of the crank as you have partially found out. I would also see if you can pull the stator off and remove the reluctor wheel and just get back to the flywheel and stator.

1689730118482.png

yeah ive already decided they look similar enough so the timing is probably fine. i tore the thing down and have a crank coming anyways. oh well. this ski i bought was such a hack job from previous owner, i dont trust anything so im just doing it right

Ya'll are mah heros !! If I'm ever stuck on an island with a boat that won't run.... I want ya'll there. Ha ha. Ya'll are splitting hairs for sure. Cool ! let us know how it works out !!

Back