787 engine reliabliity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldmmcgill

High, New to the forum and new to Seadoo.
My question is, How reliable is the seadoo 787 "782 cc"?
What are the pros and cons of the engine and what if any mods to make it reliable?
I just bought a 1997 challenger with a new SBT Reman installed.
Thanks any info would be great.

Feed it synthetic API-TC oil, and clean the RAVE valves once a year... and enjoy.

The 800 engien is VERY reliable. I have a 96 XP 800 with the factory engine... and it's running strong. (so 16 years old) The key is feeding it good oil. Don't get cheap, and don't even think of feeding it a TC-w3 oil. (regular outboard oil)

Ive replaced the stator, the coil and a few other things but the engine seems to hold together quite well. Maintenance is also key to these things lasting a long time.

Does your unit have grey fuel lines? If it does, IMHO you should replace them right away. If you do replace the lines put an in line fuel filter in. Watch the RAVE valves! if they haven"t been modified you might want to consider having them modified. If they have been modified, do a periodic check and cleaning of them.:patriot:

Thanks for the info. Is the synthetic oil readily availible?
What does the RAVE valve do?

Synthetic Oil is available on-line and at SeaDoo dealers. Dr. Honda gave you excellent advice on the oil. The tank will hold about 1 1/2 gallons. A gallon will usually run about 45-50 dollars per gallon.

Thanks for the info. Is the synthetic oil readily availible?
What does the RAVE valve do?

In short from the manual;

Bombardier-Rotax has patented a remarkably simple
system to automatically change the exhaust
port height based on pressure in the exhaust system

****EDIT*******

Ridinghigh: Why do we need to mod the RAVE's?? And what is this "MOD" you speak of?

Last edited by a moderator:
****EDIT*******

Ridinghigh: Why do we need to mod the RAVE's?? And what is this "MOD" you speak of?

Well here goes. First off I make all the usual disclaimers. Secondly I am in no way an educated person on these engines. i usually defer to Doc and/or Lou and some of the more knowledgeable folks on this forum. However I have just experienced an 787 engine failure. According to what I have learned the two weakest links in the 787 engine are the tempo fuel lines and the rave valves. In regard to the rave valves they apparently left the factory with somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 thousands clearance between the guillotine and the piston. After years of wear and or some carbon buildup there is a great likely hood of the guilliotine coming into contact with the piston. In talking to someone that rebuilds these engines I was told that it would be extremely wise to have the leading edge of lthe guilliotine ground off a little to attempt to minimize this in the future.

I hope this helps a little.:patriot:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back