787 Engine Rebuild shop suggestions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokool

Can anyone give me a good reliable source to get my 787 engine rebuilt. It needs a full rebuild. I need someone who can complete this in a few weeks. Or if someone has one on the shelf which I could buy right now that would be great. I did some research into SBT but all I found was negative comments. Most of these comments were from several years ago though. So my next question is have they gotten better. Does anyone have good things to say about SBT??

If you want a quick turnaround, go with SBT. Since this is summer, you probably want your engine quick, and with SBT you will get one within a week. I have not used them but several members have had a good experience. If you have more time, like several weeks or even months, I recommend full bore. They rebuilt my engine couple years ago and I could not be happier. If you want a top quality rebuild, that's the way to go. But again, it is not a fast option.

Full bore is the reason why I'm in this predicament. I sent them my engine 6 months ago and they werent able to work on it. It has been returned to me. I would not recommend full bore for any thing right now after that experience.

Full bore is the reason why I'm in this predicament. I sent them my engine 6 months ago and they werent able to work on it. It has been returned to me. I would not recommend full bore for any thing right now after that experience.

I think full bore does great work, problem is the long turnaround time. In your case what happened is totally inexcusable on the part of full bore.

I suspect the reason there are more complaints with SBT is that they are the largest, I would bet the percentage is no better or no worse than any other re-builder. I have a 787 premium rebuild from SBT, and I have had zero complaints, this is the fourth season and the engine still is running strong. I suspect a lot of the complaints with SBT and other re-builders is the initial problem, usually caused by a lean condition was never fixed and the same problem carried over from the old motor to the new motor.

Lou

Can anyone give me a good reliable source to get my 787 engine rebuilt. It needs a full rebuild. I need someone who can complete this in a few weeks. Or if someone has one on the shelf which I could buy right now that would be great. I did some research into SBT but all I found was negative comments. Most of these comments were from several years ago though. So my next question is have they gotten better. Does anyone have good things to say about SBT??

SBT is probably your best bet given you need a fast turn around. The reason they have quick turn around, as I understand it, is because you will get a different motor back that has already been rebuilt.

They have been known to use cheap parts. A carb rebuild kit that I recently bought from them was not worth a wooden nickel. I ended up buying another kit from another source.

i am with the others. SBT is probably your best bet. Generally speaking. If the turn around time goes ok, then all will be ok. A few have had engine issues, but SBT has made good on them from all I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you guys set me straight on an engine swap. I have a 2004 GTI LE RFI. Getting MY motor rebuilt is nothing more than getting the motor back, dropping it in and go. But, If I put in a new engine or rebuilt engine from a different ski will I need to bring it to a Seadoo dealer to get timing done or fuel injection settings made? or will it just work like swapping the original motor?

just like swapping motor and should be no different than rebuilding the original. looks like sbt premium engine doesn't come with a rotary valve so i would buy one along with a degree wheel. that would be all that would need timed. just google and download the manual. make sure the rv clearance is to spec, it's in the manual. no need to take to the dealer unless you removed the tps sensor from the air intake or it would need to be reset with a candoo or budds computer. make sure the fuel injectors are up to par as well as fuel pump, filters and fuel regulator.

make sure the rotary valve cover on the inside isn't scratched badly as well or can cause starting and running issues especially in the water. timing and the right clearance is very important with the rotary valve. sbt sells machined rv covers as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
just like swapping motor and should be no different than rebuilding the original. looks like sbt premium engine doesn't come with a rotary valve so i would buy one along with a degree wheel. that would be all that would need timed. just google and download the manual. make sure the rv clearance is to spec, it's in the manual. no need to take to the dealer unless you removed the tps sensor from the air intake or it would need to be reset with a candoo or budds computer. make sure the fuel injectors are up to par as well as fuel pump, filters and fuel regulator.

make sure the rotary valve cover on the inside isn't scratched badly as well or can cause starting and running issues especially in the water. timing and the right clearance is very important with the rotary valve. sbt sells machined rv covers as well.

I agree totally. While the engine is out it would be a great time to fix, repair, restore everything else so that when the engine comes all you have to do is concentrate on the install.

Don't forget the pump and drive line.

Can you guys set me straight on an engine swap. I have a 2004 GTI LE RFI. Getting MY motor rebuilt is nothing more than getting the motor back, dropping it in and go. But, If I put in a new engine or rebuilt engine from a different ski will I need to bring it to a Seadoo dealer to get timing done or fuel injection settings made? or will it just work like swapping the original motor?
Regardless of whether you go with a rebuild or a swap, you will also need to borrow, rent, steal, or buy an alignment tool. Any time an engine is taken out, the reinstall requires alignment, which involves a tool that bolts to the transom allowing you to align the engine and drive shaft.

I was tempted to skip that step, but I ended up buying one because the pros on this forum advised strongly that it was needed

Is this still the case if I did not disturb the mounts. Instead of removing the adjustable engine mounts from the ski I remove the engine from these mounts. The holes the engine drops into are not adjustable and the alignment should be maintained. Right? Is this valid?

You should still align the engine anytime it is taken out.
There is enough play in the engine holes to cause it to be out of alignment.

It could be ok as I have seen some go back almost perfect and others I have seen that must have been off from the factory or previous owner.

I would give a shout out here and see if anybody close would let you borrow one of the tools.

Most people say you don't need an alignment if you keep the mounts in. That's what I did, and after checking alignment a year later, I was still perfectly aligned. But it's never a bad idea to double check it.

Most people say you don't need an alignment if you keep the mounts in. That's what I did, and after checking alignment a year later, I was still perfectly aligned. But it's never a bad idea to double check it.
Not meaning to be argumentative, but when I was asking, most said that I did need to align it. I still have to wonder but I went the safe route.

What is the most common reason for an engine to lock up to the point of needing a rebuild. I am talking about an RFI specifically, Oil injection pump? I have also heard that when a 2-stroke reaches 150 hours or so they all blow up is that true? My engine needs a rebuild because the engine was locked due the piston tops coming apart or pitting badly. Bits of metal got into the bearing and such. Is this lack of oil or something else?

i totally agree with racerxxx best to find out what caused the engine failure or you will quickly burn up a new engine. i would replace the fuel injectors and have piece of mind. theres a link in the thread racerxxx recommended and a must read thread for any rfi owner,
f properly maintained, the 787 will last more than twice long as yours did.

I've bought several SBT engines and I haven't had a problem with any of them. When they say NO FAULT warranty they stand behind it (Long story) and it was within a week of the warranty ending.The only bad thing I can say about SBT is the shipping is very expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back