787 Cracked jugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tingraham

Hi all!

Skip to the end if you don't care to read the back story.

A friend of mine picked up a pair of 96 GSXs on a trailer over the weekend. We went out and checked them out and apparently they haven't been started in 2 years so they weren't in running condition but look pretty decent. Ran a compression test on them and one of the skis came back at only 90 psi on one cylinder. The other was a solid 150 on both. So with that being said we knew there was going to be a little work involved. He ended up getting them for $1300 so a pretty killer deal.

Long story short, just got one of them running and as soon as I slapped the hose on her I heard all sorts of gushing water, yeah, not good. Seemed like it was leaking from the o ring at the head, popped the head of and found that both jugs are split wide open and the piston that was reading low compression had all sorts of bits that fell off around the crown. Guessing a lean run, found the o-ring in the fuel filter somewhat mangled so hopefully that's all it was.

In any case, these cylinders are definitely toast, all the jb weld in the world would have trouble sealing those bad boys.

So, after being disappointed by that, I though that I better check the other ski to make sure it wasn't cracked... Sure enough, fricken cracked too. This one not nearly as bad though. The other one is litterally split wide open Apparently the engine drain sucks on GSXs.

Question is, has anyone successfully managed to JB weld their cracked cylinders? I honestly feel that we got nothing to lose so why the heck not? I figure I will cut a v-groove into the crack to add as much surface area as possible and go to town with the JB weld. If the engine was tired I would just get new cylinders but holy cow, the bores look super clean on it.

You would be better off having them welded than JB weld if you want it to last and not get new cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back