717 help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDBRACING

I just finished a top end rebuild on a 717 and was looking for a way to change the crankcase oil. When i was installing the pistons i remember seeing oil in the bottom of the crankcase. Ok let me start from the beginning. Lost compression in the back cylinder, took the head off and the piston was toast. The wrist pin bearings came apart but luckly i had stuffed a rag into the crankcase opening. When i was replacing the pistons there was a wrist pin bearing and end cap stuck between the case and the crank. I got both out, but saw some metal shavings on the crank. So i poured some amsoil 10w30 to fluse the shavings. It worked but i want to get the shavings and the oil out of there. I did a search and i'm thinkin i made a big mistake. I really dont want to slit the case. Any suggestions?????

My opinion is to split, because if a shard gets in a crannie and you miss it, it will come back to haunt, you'll be not only redoing the damaged seals it will cut up,
I'd hate to guess the other consequences. :ack: On the good side, you'd check the
rotary shaft for true? I hate when I find bent shafts. Gotta love the 720's!

:agree:

if you don't want do a bottom... you got to take it apart, and make sure it's clean.

Also... you should never put anything other than 2-stroke oil into the engine. Automotive oils could react poorly with the old oil, and it could damage the seals.

My vote is to flush it out with kerosene like mixing scrambled eggs, then flip it over to see what falls out by pouring it into a 5gal bucket covered with a cloth, if in doubt about any remaining stuff the split is best.

THANKS GUYS. Looks like im yanking that beast out. As far as the oil is concerned, i just used the auto oil because??????? dont know why....in a hurry maybe and that was close by. But when i split the case and get everything cleaned out do i need to put 2 stroke oil in the bottom or will it prime itself. I have the block off kit installed but the one hose is still connected to the block. thanks guys

I have a little sprayer of injection oil to just the raw metal parts, RV gear-shaft & seals.

Oh, the block off problem will be next - why not just fix it properly and save oil and spark plug money? The OEM oiling is variable to save oil when idling or lo speed, when you are waiting a long time to get to the dock and the plugs get fouled you will wish you had the OEM oiling as you get your paddles out to reach the shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back