657x Engine Rod Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyk345

I recently bought a 95 Sea-doo speedster, one of my first inboard jet boats, for $100:drool5:. Though one engine was entirely shot:banghead:. From what I can tell the bearing on one of the piston rods failed. Which caused the entire piston head to be chewed away. Now I am looking for a crankshaft and piston head. Though when looking for parts I noticed for the piston head there is such a thing as "oversize." I'm not really sure what this means or what I should look for. Any help or pointers on how to fix the engine would be greatly appreciated and anywhere to get cheap parts.
Thanks
Tony

Anyone have any info? I would really like to get this thing up and running.

Oversize probably means better?, have you looked at shopsbt.com? I just ordered a part from them and they are very helpful..
Congrats on getting your boat for $100 what a steal, I paid $1700 for mine and I thought I got a good deal!

Sorry I missed this one before.

Oversize is not better. They make oversize pistons so you can overbore a cylinder that has damage. Also... with an engine that old... it's probably not worth rebuilding on your own. You won't save much $$$ over buying a rebuilt unit from SBT. Also, on their basic engines... they give a 1 year warranty. If you do your own rebuild, and have an issue... there will be no warranty.

Sorry I missed this one before.

Oversize is not better. They make oversize pistons so you can overbore a cylinder that has damage. Also... with an engine that old... it's probably not worth rebuilding on your own. You won't save much $$$ over buying a rebuilt unit from SBT. Also, on their basic engines... they give a 1 year warranty. If you do your own rebuild, and have an issue... there will be no warranty.

Wow, I just went to look at shopsbt.com, and they had some of these engines way cheap.. $595 to $745... with warranty!

they give a 1 year warranty.
That does look like the better way to go. Do you know, since I have two 657x, could I buy there 657 non x version and just put on some of the differing items between the two engines? If so what are the parts that differ between the 657 and 657x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back