3D RFI old but 0 hours burned exhaust parts

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernon Edwards

Hi,

I'm a new member looking for help. I purchased a 2005 3D 0 hrs which had never been in the water. I shipped it (with 2 x GTX 155's) to my vacation home in Vietnam. Just keep in mind the lack of local help & the difficulty in getting parts given where I am. I shipped a load of spares with the ski's, but the wrong ones for this issue.

Here is my issue. I checked this ski over & run on my stand before putting in the water. No more than 1 minute all seemed fine. I run it for 10 minutes & all was good so I set out on a longer run to start breaking the motor in. I'd gone about 10 minutes when the ski started to bog down & run rough. I was not wringing it's neck just gentle 1/2 throttle or so,...

I noticed a bit of smoke coming out of the engine cover but figured it's new so the preservative oil that was applied over the years is burning up. I managed to limp back home & pulled the ski out of the water took the plugs out & noticed the cap on one spark-plug was nearly undone. I tightened it & run it on the hose for a minute all good so back in the river, no good same issue.

Pulled the plugs again & figured they were fouled with 2 stroke oil. Spent a couple of hours on the internet & reading the manuals trying to determine if there is an oil injection adjustment, still none the wiser.

I decided I better take of the rear cover to grease the bearing & I discovered a burned out tee piece on the exhaust as in the photo's. woooooow maybe I was close to BBQ the ski,...

I have uploaded some photo's, there is no gunk inside that's all melted pipe. What has caused this & would it be the cause of all the issues?

Please note to my horror all the hose clips when i went to undo them were barely finger tight, maybe this was a 'Friday' ski. Just thinking out loud if air was getting in maybe that was the cause of the fire?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20170625_155027.jpg
    20170625_155027.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170625_155033.jpg
    20170625_155033.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170625_162435060.jpg
    IMG_20170625_162435060.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 17
It's melted from no cooling water. You need to make sure all hoses are clear. For some reason water isn't flowing into the exhaust.

Hi,

Thanks Mikidymac. I went through all the cooling hoses & found that 2 of the lower exhaust hoses were blocked I could not blow air through. Removed the exhaust & found part of the lower jacket it blocked with white gunk. Cleaned the gunk away & found that the area around the fitting was partly corroded so I will need to weld it. I am tempted to put a larger filling there as this issue with 2005 3D melting exhausts seems common. Inside the stock fitting not much more than 1/8",... Does anyone know if there is any issue with having more water flow here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back