2nd battery question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lugg22

The battery that i currently have in it is a deep cycle battery and that is the only one that i currently use for starting the boat and all the operations.

The boat has a marine cd player on it, and a Memphis speaker system with a sub-woofer. Currently right now i am not getting any power to the cd player.

I do plan on getting another battery a starting battery from the research that i done.

I have 3 red connectors (positive) and 3 Black (negative connectors)

One of the red connectors is for the speakers/sub-woofers and that i only plan to connect to the deep cycle battery and have the other two on the starter battery.

My question would be when i do connect the speakers/sub-woofer to the deep cycle battery what do i do with the negative cable that came with the boat, and were do i connect that cable.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I've read over that a couple times... and unfortunately... I'm not following you. You haven't said where those wires are hooked to, or what you have done. I have 3 black and red wires sitting on my workbench, but it doesn't mean I'm hooking them up to my boat. (see what I'm saying?)

But, let me throw out a couple thoughts.

Yes... you should get away from a deep cycle battery for starting. It's not really meant for that kind of current. BUT, look at the label on it... it could be a dual use.

If you go to a Starting + Deep Cycle system... you should use an isolator for charging the deep cycle, and have the starting battery hooked to the main engine wiring. Then, separate out the other electronics, and hook those to the Deep Cycle. If you have a Gen1 240 engine, you can just split the charging system to both batteries.

Thank you for the reply sorry for the misuse of words.

I have 3 red connections that are currently connected to my deep cycle battery. That is all the connections that i have.

With the boat came an extra negative cable (black) that i assume is for the other battery.

I do think i have the gen1 engine, how can i double check.

So once i get my starting battery I plan doing the following.

Hook up the two positive connections to starting battery, and the other one that is for the audio to the deep cycle battery. But what do i do with the negative cable, attach it to the battery then to starter battery?

post a picture of the engine... or tell me the serial number on the engine. (I'm assuming it's a 240 EFI since it was the most common in the seadoo boats) But if it's a 200, 210, or 250... let me know.

Still unsure of the wires. I don't even know what boat you have. Putting the boat model, year, and engine type in your signature saves a lot of time.

Also... do you have a battery switch for 2 batteries in the boat already? Are the 3 red wires "Cables" (like for the starter)... or are they small power leads?

I will go after work today and take some pictures.

The boat is a 2001 sea doo Islandia, and I am pretty sure it's a 240.

Yes I do have a battery switch for 2 batteries.

2 red wire connectors are for the starter non leads, and one wire is for the speakers sound system.

here are some pictures

20160607_180122.jpg

Attachments

• 20160607_180420.jpg
    20160607_180420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
so what i think i am going to do 2 red cables are going to go on my starter battery with all of the 3 negative cables.

Then the one for the stereo system is going to go on the deep cycle, with the negative cable connecting to the starter one?

Now when i do this is the deep cycle going to be charged by alternator as well...?

OK.....

So... your switch has 3 wires. One is common (to the starter)... then the others go to the 2 batteries. But, since you only have one... they are both going to it. Once you put in a second battery... you will put one on each. Then you can select what battery you want to run the engine with the switch.

BUT... a deep cycle battery is WRONG for staring the engine. Generally, they don't live long being asked to give that kind of current. But with that said... the label on the battery says it's good enough. (600 CCA is fine) I'm guessing it's actually a dual use type.

You have a Gen1 240EFI engine. So... you are in luck. When you mount the second battery... you actualy have 2 charing coils, and 2 regulators. Right now... the wires from the regulator are connected together and are hooked to the starter solenoid. If you lift them... and put one on each battery... they will charge independently.

Perfect thank you so much.

So just to be perfectly 100 % sure.

Take 1 connector red cable and put it on the starting battery. The one that goes to the starter, and that is my battery that is labeled 1 on my dial.

Now for my deep cycle battery I will put the 2nd connector attach it along with the audio cable the 3rd red connector . The third red connector and that should be labeled battery 2 on my swicth.

And as for the negative cables the one that I have extra I can connect it between the deep cycle and starter battery?

Also when I start the boat I should turn the dial to 1?

Thank you again

Ummmmmmmmmmm.............

Yes... that all sounds right.

Battery #1 on the switch will be your "Starting" battery, and you will generally put the switch there.

Battery #2 on the switch will be your "House" battery running your extra electronics.

You will only run the switch on "Both" or #2 if your main starting battery gets weak. (it will let you self jump-start)

I would run the extra ground to the engine block some where ... but it's fine to just tie the grounds together between the batteries.

Don't forget to separate the charging. If you leave it the way it is... you will only charge the battery that your switch is on.

Calling Dr Honda or anyone who knows,
Would you happen to have more details on splitting the charging system on the older 240 efi? I have a 2002 Islandia that I'm currently adding a second battery on and would like to split the system and feed two Optima Blue tops. I see the two regulator/rectifiers. On the solenoid terminal connected to my Guest switch with the 2 AWG red wire, there are three other ring terminals with a slew of red wires. Any advice on which terminals to extend to the batteries? On the two I would suspect, one has 3 wires while the other two. Sorry if this is confusing.

-Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Just take the red wires from each regulator... and run them to the batteries. (separately) Not a big deal.

Based on the picture I posted, I have 3 ring terminals and 8 wires coming out of the harness (all of them red) which were connected to the solenoid hence my confusion. Tomorrow I will try cutting open the harness to see which wires lead to the regulators unless you're able to help me identify based on the picture I posted. Thanks.

Based on the picture I posted, I have 3 ring terminals and 8 wires coming out of the harness (all of them red) which were connected to the solenoid hence my confusion. Tomorrow I will try cutting open the harness to see which wires lead to the regulators unless you're able to help me identify based on the picture I posted. Thanks.

OK... I understand. But, you will have to trace them back to the regulators to see which two you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back