$2800 worth of body damage??? pics included

Status
Not open for further replies.

kosta24

ive included 4 pics of the damage on the bottom of my boat. Ive been quoted for $2800 at fiberglass shop that has a reputation for having the best prices around. I cant justify paying that much. Does anyone have any info on how to fix this gouge??? I have a pretty good tool set so i wanna attempt to do it myself. Not sure what I need, and what to do to make this like new again.

I apologize if the pics arent great quality. The gouge is about 3 inches wide, about 3 feet long and probably a 1/4 inch deep.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I really cant spend $2800 on this ski already, we just bought it a few weeks ago!

thanks for all the help...I forgot to mention, the gouge is along the running line (i think thats what its called). The contour line along the bottom of the boat. This probably makes things alot worse for me

Attachments

• IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    630.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    613.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    761 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    617.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
That seems high to me. I was quoted about 1K - $1200 to paint the whole hull of my nephew's Yamaha. It shouldn't be another 1.6K fix fix the gouge.

Go to a Chevy Vette shop and see what they say. Some of the paint guys may do work on the side, that's how i got my boat trailer painted last year at half the cost from a shop.

That seems high to me. I was quoted about 1K - $1200 to paint the whole hull of my nephew's Yamaha. It shouldn't be another 1.6K fix fix the gouge.

Go to a Chevy Vette shop and see what they say. Some of the paint guys may do work on the side, that's how i got my boat trailer painted last year at half the cost from a shop.

Im sure I can find a body shop to paint this haul for a really good price, but filling that gouge is what im asking about. Do i have to sand, and refill with new fibreglass? The same guy that quoted me at $2800 offered to do a quick fix which included filling with silicone and putting 2 or 3 layers of gel coat over top of that. He said it will stop the bleeding for a little bit.

Wow, you must be sick in the stomach to see this on your new ski! I feel for you. :(

I have done minor fiberglass repair, but nothing like this. You will want a power sander for this job, you can be sure of that. Fiberglass, Resin, and you will also need Gelcoat. Start watching Youtube videos on fiberglass repair. I'm not sure if you should use some fiberglass cloth or just be able to use a fiberglass filler like Bondo, which just contains fiberglass strands. I guess that would depend on how deep into the fiberglass the damage is. This is a big job, but you can always sand off any mistakes you make.

I hate to throw salt in the wound, but didn't you insure your ski??

this happened by my friend the first day i got the ski, he went through the rapids down river, didnt think i needed to tell him not to do that. city slicker. he didnt realize rocks are what makes rapids. shitty deal for me

I would report to my insurance company and to his. your comp will go after his for payment. Otherwise your buddy should offer to pay for the damage.

sorry about the damage....first you should grind the damaged area and outside about 3 ins then use fiberglass matt and resin to do the job about 4 layers should be fine...best of luck

Honestly it does not look that bad.. I have done a lot of glass work (restored vettes).. Get a book on doing glass work.. Yop can get all the stuff you need at WEST MARINE.. I use there system on cars, it is easy to use and almost idiot proff if you read the directions for mixing the reson..

1) Clean the area around the gouge with a grinder or 40 grit sand paper, the new glass will not stick to the the paint or gel coat.

2) If needed cut small glass cloth strips the size of the gouge if you need to fill holes.

3) Get a cheap paint brush and paint reson over the area to be repaired, then place the cloth over the spot

4) Take the brush and soak the cloth in reson, you must be sure the entire area is soaked through.

5) Once the area is filled and has hardend you can sand it smooth, it sands a little hard so you will ned to use a sanding block.

It's a messy dirty job, and you will get itchy.. If it's not to bad there is a product called dynagalss that mixes like bondo, if there is not any
structual damage that may work.

That really sucks....did the ski start taking on water after he hit the rocks?? Where in Ontario you located?? I have done quite a bit of fibreglass repair on my race bikes over the past years so could help if your close to me. You will need to order a gelcoat kit to do the final finishing touch to the ski.

I would report to my insurance company and to his. your comp will go after his for payment. Otherwise your buddy should offer to pay for the damage.

I have no clue how to do fiberglass repair so im sure i'll go through insurance. what does a repair like this make your insurance rates climb to?

That really sucks....did the ski start taking on water after he hit the rocks?? Where in Ontario you located?? I have done quite a bit of fibreglass repair on my race bikes over the past years so could help if your close to me. You will need to order a gelcoat kit to do the final finishing touch to the ski.

im up in pembroke on the ottawa river, how about you?

If you have no experience doing any fiberglass or body work I would not attempt it. The hardest part is getting it straight and the gel coat. I bought my 2002 1500 4-tec for $1000 in 2004 because the front end was smashed. I found a guy who repaired it 100% like new for $1000. I started to do it myself and had several years of experience but ran into some curing problems and it was just taking to much time. It's not a one day job.

Get some more quotes. Ask around at boat shops, they all know someone or do it themselves.

PS, you buddy should be an ex buddy if he is not offering to pay. I know there would be no question if I had done it I would pay.

Whenever this happened,don.t get any work done for about 3 weeks.Moisture will stuffup any work done.There will need to be a fair bit of grinding done.I would have a real close look at the inside of the hull.Stress cracks may be there.They need to be fixed and sealed first.Layers of glass have to be built up to repair the damage.Sanded back and then WAXED gelcoat has to be sprayed on.Resanded and than sanded and buffed.
It's not a huge job.Just fiddly.(you are underneath the boat)
If you can,find out the original layup of the hull.I don't know what they are.Someone on this site will.
Polyester.vinyl ester or epoxy resin.reason for this is some don't stick to the other.
Epoxy will stick to anything,polyester wont stick to much.
Guys that do very good work are fibreglass mould makers,custom boat builders.Larger boat builders,not so much.
Have a look what is local and post some stuff on here for any advice.Hope this helps

If you have no experience doing any fiberglass or body work I would not attempt it. The hardest part is getting it straight and the gel coat. I bought my 2002 1500 4-tec for $1000 in 2004 because the front end was smashed. I found a guy who repaired it 100% like new for $1000. I started to do it myself and had several years of experience but ran into some curing problems and it was just taking to much time. It's not a one day job.

Get some more quotes. Ask around at boat shops, they all know someone or do it themselves.

PS, you buddy should be an ex buddy if he is not offering to pay. I know there would be no question if I had done it I would pay.

He came up with a bunch of friends to visit for a weekend. He didnt realize what he did, and it will solve nothing to call him a month after it happened to look for money. Its a difficult situation. If i had lent it out to a friend for a weekend and i wasnt there, its a different story, but when a bunch of us are riding it in my backyard and this happens, its too hard to put the finger on him to pay for it. It sucks really bad, but sometimes friendships are worth more than a couple thousand in seadoo repairs. A learning lesson, dont offer my stuff to friends iguess

Whenever this happened,don.t get any work done for about 3 weeks.Moisture will stuffup any work done.There will need to be a fair bit of grinding done.I would have a real close look at the inside of the hull.Stress cracks may be there.They need to be fixed and sealed first.Layers of glass have to be built up to repair the damage.Sanded back and then WAXED gelcoat has to be sprayed on.Resanded and than sanded and buffed.
It's not a huge job.Just fiddly.(you are underneath the boat)
If you can,find out the original layup of the hull.I don't know what they are.Someone on this site will.
Polyester.vinyl ester or epoxy resin.reason for this is some don't stick to the other.
Epoxy will stick to anything,polyester wont stick to much.
Guys that do very good work are fibreglass mould makers,custom boat builders.Larger boat builders,not so much.
Have a look what is local and post some stuff on here for any advice.Hope this helps

Im planning on letting it sit in the garage for the winter to dry out and then in early spring send it in to get repaired. I was told by the fibergalass guy it needs to completely dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back