240 Efi Sport Jet Engine Needs Replacement Powerhead

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

OziX20

Hey guys,

I finally pulled the engine out and apart from my Seadoo X-20. I appreciate all the help thus far and hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction once again.

I had the engine disassembled by an engine builder here in Aus who has said that the crankcase is useless. It appears to have been sleeved and had the crankcase repaired also. They have told me it is useless so I am looking to just buy a replacement remanufactured power head and having it sent over.

Who do you guys believe is going to be the best people to purchase from and also is there anyone who does them in Los Angeles as I may be able to have it shipped over with a friends boat to save cost?

Once again appreciate you guys helping I just want to have my boat ready for this summer.

IMG_4457.jpgIMG_4456.jpg

First... find a new shop to deal with. The Merc engines have iron sleeves from the factory. SO... that block hasn't been "Sleeved". AND... if they didn't know that... they don't have the knowledge to work on it.

Personally... I'd find a machine shop that can bore it to the next size... and do the rebuild yourself.

My engine had a huge hole ripped into the side of it, and one of the stock cyl's was destroyed. (as in, hunks were missing) But... a little time with the TIG welder, and the hold was closed... and a call to LA Sleeve got me a new sleeve that I installed in my kitchen.

But... with that said... an OEM reman will be a good engine.

Hey Dr Honda, how are you? I see you are the first one to help as always so thanks.

The machine shop just said it was too badly damaged to use. I thought it had been sleeved I didn't know it was done from factory. I understand about crankcases being repaired but it appears that the cylinder you can see inside is all scored and pieces missing.

Do you believe looking at the crank case that is still worth trying to fix myself or the option of a powerhead.

Personally I just want to use my boat this summer and not miss out again. If you do say its fixable what is the best way to go about it?

I don't see anything that is "Too badly damaged to use". If I'm missing something... let me know. And...If you have more pics showing the damage... post them. But... from what I see from your first pic... I see nothing more than a "Normal" lost piston. (A few dents in the bottom, and gouges in the sleeve)

Some engines will get a sleeve installed as a method of fixing them. And, a lot of times... it's a patch that is frowned upon. But... these engines have sleeves. (by design) At the factory... when they build a brand new engine... they machine the aluminum engine case... and press in iron sleeves. So... if you take a new Merc engine... pop the heads off... you will see sleeves.

OK... I know you are just going with what the so-called pro is telling you... but it really bothers me when they don't give real info. If possible... ask that shop EXACTLY why it can't be used. Don't question them... just report back on what they say.

As far as fixing it yourself... it all depends on how mechanical you are, and what tools you have. That one cyl will need honed at the minimum. BUT... if it's out of round, oversized... or the gouges are very deep... it will need bored to the next size. AND... if you are going to that trouble... then you just do all 6, and do a full rebuild. If you have a good machinist's hone... you can pull the cyl straight again. BUT... you can't do it with a cheap ball-hone... or even a regular stone hone.

Here's the one I recued.......

68.jpg

65.jpg

237.jpg

286.jpg

352.jpg

377.jpg

378.jpg

23.jpg

81.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.