240 EFI Challenger No Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys...hope one of you all can help me TS this issue. Last Sunday we were on the lake, boat had been running fine, we stopped to float around a bit, actually about 4 hours, and when we got ready to leave the boat would turn over, but not start. Got towed in and I know how Mercury engines are....put the battery charger on it for just minutes and it cranked right up. I also cranked it a couple of times over the week just for a second and it fired right up, no problems. Knowing this battery is 2 1/2 years old and thinking the boat was OK other than the battery just being weak, I picked up another one, putting out 875 CCA, brand new starting marine battery. I put it in today and it will turn over fine with no problems, but will not start the engine, neither will the old battery, even with the charger hooked up on it for a bit. What gives...I tried the search engines and had no luck with this one! Boat had been running fine prior to this issue.

Basics

Start with the basics, check all the fuses. There are also a couple hanging near the battery switch and on the engine. Make sure the lanyard is securely attached as well. Check these things and let me know.

Aaron:cheers:

Hey 101, thanks for the reply.

I have done a visual of all the fuses and wiring harness connectors, all look and appear to be good. This boat has always been in fresh water and covered up good when stored, so there was no corrosion at all in any of the connectors. I know last week when I cut it off and floated it would not restart, we had a good drain on the battery with an XM radio playing. It recranked after a short trip on the charger and restarted a couple times later. I have put this new battery on a charge for the rest of the evening and plan to work on it tomorrow, wonder if the new battery is actually charged enough to run all before cranking? We'll see.....with my luck it'll need a rebuild, a stator, and the pump before I can run it again! I say that with fingers crossed.........and I thought I was becoming a trouble free boater when I got up out of the rotax boats!

Again this morning, been over every fuse, checked all wiring, nothing looks out of place.....except no spark to the old plugs. Will the neutral safety switch do this? I have already loop tested the lanyard switch, thats seems fine as well. What gives.....:hurray: I think I'm going back to V-8 gasonline engines and Mercuiser sterndrives....LOL!

If it was the neutral safety switch it wouldn't crank. If all the fuses and wiring are OK have a look at the crank sensor. The air gap should be about .025 for it to function properly and resistance between the two pins should be 320-350 ohms.

One last think you can try is locate the main relay and swap it out with a known good one. The only other simple things to check are the fuses and the crankshaft position sensor.

I'll have another read through the manual later and see if I notice anything else.

101...thanks again. I am fixing to pull the flywheel and take a look under there. Today is a bad day for parts on any play toys in my area.....most marinas and all are closed here on Mondays, so parts will have to wait til later!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back