240 efi 2001 challenger 2000 stalling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the first day out for the season and the boat fired up fine and ran well for the first 15-20 minutes. It smoked stronger than normal, but I assumed that was the stabilizer and fogging oil burning out.

I was taking it pretty easy and it just shut down at cruising speed (25-30 mph). It started back up like there was no issue and I was able to continue on. It was running strong and felt no different than last season. As I was heading back to the launch area it repeated the shutdown very frequently but the start up was easy as well. It was pretty sporadic at this point.

While idling the boat was smoking way more than I ever remember from last year. I use Quicksilver Premium Plus

As I approached 1.5 hrs on the water (pretty much running it the entire time) the boat shut off more frequently. I noticed if I was around 4,000 rpm and I hit it the boat stalled.

I let it sit for a while before loading on the truck and I had no issue with the idle speed, but I was having problems at idle earlier.

What I did this winter:
Fogged and stabilized in the fall (I did originally use red stabil and then added some marine as well to the full 40 gallons)
Replaced the inline fuel filter
Replaced the water separator filter
Replaced all gear and stator fluids.
Replaced the stereo
I have a dual battery setup and they were both fully charged

Is this a possible Head Temperature Sensor Problem? Not certain but the strong smoking and unpredictable shutdowns? Only issue is it never failed to start back up after shutdown

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you were seeing heavy smoke... I'd say that the temp sensor could be bad, and it was starting to foul the plugs.

Also... just check all the gounds, and make sure there isn't an electrical issue.

Where in Da' Burgh are you? I'm near Irwin.

I live in Elizabeth and my parents live in White Oak on the edge of North Huntington.

I store my boat near the Yough Dam. I don't really have a vehicle top pull it up the mountain each week. I was so glad to see you got a Mercury. I have always followed your advice on the board. Maybe we can meet up some time.

I also recall that when removing the water separator filter last fall I got a wire caught behind the filter wrench and nicked it. I taped it up but could that be an issue?

I got new plugs so I will also replace them. I have read that some have found the head temp sensors to be a part that gradually gets worse. Do you think I should order both and give it a try?

Do you know if those sensors are a parking lot fix or more involved?
Thanks again,
Brian

Sure... I'm planing on bring the Islandia down to Yough lake this summer. There are a few of us around Da' Burgh. Me, you, BigJake, DjRedMan, DSW222... and a few others.

The wire could be an issue.. but without knowing WHAT wire it is... it's hard to say. But, if all you did was to clip the insulation... then it's probably fine.

As far as the temp sensor... I would try it. Over the last few years... I've seen a bunch of issues resolved by changing that sensor.

I ordered the Port Temperature sensor that was mentioned in the post http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...ost-for-240EFI-engines&highlight=wajetboating.

I will hopefully get to my boat next weekend and fill it with fresh gas, new plugs, a new temp sensor and check the wire I nicked and coat it with some liquid wire sealant.

I noticed that I used what seemed to be about 20 gallons with just 2 on the boat and not running it hard. That seemed high compared to my normal use which typically involves a full boat and pulling a huge tube or skis. Do you have any opinion on using a fuel system additives (sea foam, etc)?

I will report back ASAP. If there are any other suggested switch outs please let me know so I can get things ordered for the weekend.

By the way, I would definitely like to meet up with some of the Pittsburgh guys at some point. Like I said, I am always up for the Yough since I am stored there.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes... I have an opinion on seafoam. NEVER use a pour in solvent in a 2-stroke engine !!!! Think about it. If it can clean... it will mess up the oiling.

Once I get my boat running... I'll give you a yell.

Thanks! I never used anything I was just checking with someone with good knowledge. I will try the first couple of steps and take it from there.

I have 2 daughters that love the lake so I will definitely meet up if schedules permit.

I know I need to take one step at a time, but as I read some other posts is it likely that my problems may be related to a bad setting on the Throttle Position Sensor (or faulty)? It looks like that is a $300 part, so I can't just order it and try it out.

As I recall the events this past weekend it seemed to initially die when warmed up and then when I accelerated to WOT. It did not die early on, just after some running time.

I know the plugs, and head temperature sensor will not hurt and may actually help the problem, but I am trying to think of other issues to keep in mind and other observations to make to further troubleshoot.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I have an issue that is sporadic....

Ok, I ordered the new plugs and port side head temp sensor, but the sensor did not arrive yet, so I figured I would change the plugs and put fresh gas in the boat.

I also remembered that when I changed the in-line filter it seemed difficult to get the new filter to slide back on the hose, like the hose was broken at the end inside (I will post a pic tomorrow of the end of the hose). So I cut the end of the fuel line and reattached a clean end.

The plugs looked bad. I am embarrassed that I did not change them sooner. I started the boat 2 weeks ago on the hose, but I planned on running it a day before replacing the plugs since I wanted to burn off the stabilizer. I have not changed them during my ownership, and with a quick conversation with the previous owner they may have been as old as five seasons.

At the lake the boat fired up with no issue and I cruised for the first 20 min around 4K RPM. It was smooth and not smoking. I took it to idle speed and no excessive smoke. I ran it between 5K and W.O.T., moving up and down with no issues. It ran smoother than I ever remember. I ran it nearly non stop for about 2.5 hrs, probably 30+ miles with absolutely no issues.

So I guess there were a few issues I addressed today:
1. The plugs should have been changed years ago. It ran good last season, but it seemed the best today.
2. I had a double dose of stabilizer over the winter (red Stabil then blue) - maybe too much???
3. Could I have been getting a restriction in that fuel line during hard acceleration that caused the boat to be "starved of gas"?
4. Did fresh 89 octane gas make a difference?
5. Do I have a problem that will show up on some days and not others?

I don't know, but today was definitely better than last week.

Wow !!! Never changed the plugs !

OK....

1) Yep
2) Shouldn't be an issue.
3) Absolutely
4) It can't hurt. But the old fuel should have been OK since it was stabilized.
5) No problem should be random. If it ran that well... I think you found it.

If you don't use that temp sensor... hold on to it... You may need it later. (Or I may buy it from you)

I know, I feel like an idiot to worry all week and I had old plugs that had not been replaced. Have you had success finding the plugs locally? Anywhere along the Rt. 30 corridor? I definitely want to get a second set. I ended up ordering them and they were out of stock so I was on hold even longer. OK, enough excuses.

Hopefully I can run ok this season and I plan to replace the fuel lines this winter. I have heard that the ethanol can cause issues, but the way the hose end was internally collapsing makes me wonder where else its occurring.

On the end of the hose it seemed like there was a small internal plastic liner of sorts that was twisted adding to the restriction(maybe it was to prevent the clamp from collapsing the hose???). I was worried that I should not have removed that end, but it did not have a negative impact.

I will definitely keep the sensor on hand since that seems to be a common issue and fairly easy to do a quick replacement with. If you get in a jam and need one soon (once again I waited over a week for mine) I am only a few miles away.

I am subscribed to your Islandia progress, so good luck and I hope to meet up with you and some of the other forum guys this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back