2021 Ride plate corrosion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdad

I kept my nice new 2021 GTI SE skis on floating docks this summer on our fresh water lake. The floaters leave about half of the ride plate and a little of the pump in the water. I pulled them out for the season and there is significant corrosion on the plate and the bottom of the pump. The coating on the aluminum parts isn't doing a lot to protect them. Anyone else seen this? The lake is pretty clean with a decent amount of water movement around my dock. I will mod stuff so the skis sit higher and completely out of the water, but this seems odd.

I kept my nice new 2021 GTI SE skis on floating docks this summer on our fresh water lake. The floaters leave about half of the ride plate and a little of the pump in the water. I pulled them out for the season and there is significant corrosion on the plate and the bottom of the pump. The coating on the aluminum parts isn't doing a lot to protect them. Anyone else seen this? The lake is pretty clean with a decent amount of water movement around my dock. I will mod stuff so the skis sit higher and completely out of the water, but this seems odd.
How's your zinc anode looking, is it still there. Water should dissolve that zinc first.

Zinc is for salt water not fresh or brackish water.on a local lake around my area had a group of jet skis had there ride plates and pumps rot away in a few seasons and found out a guy had a shore power cord shorting and destroying the cheap aluminum.the only reason we figured that out was guy sold his boat he got sick of putting seal carriers in his lower and nothing rotted anymore.

Zinc is for salt water not fresh or brackish water.on a local lake around my area had a group of jet skis had there ride plates and pumps rot away in a few seasons and found out a guy had a shore power cord shorting and destroying the cheap aluminum.the only reason we figured that out was guy sold his boat he got sick of putting seal carriers in his lower and nothing rotted anymore.
Should of dissolved the zinc before the aluminum. I've read somewhere you also get it from fresh water , but I've always trailered my boats, so I never had a problem myself with that. Magnesium would be better for fresh water protection.

Skis didn't have anoides back in the day and the lower anoides where destroyed in a few months.drove every local dealer nuts for years.the whole cove had all shiny new machines and cowls then you pull out for the winter they all looked 100 years old.it was right next to the highway so we thought it was the calcium from the roads tested water cause they where all complaining .then guy turned his breaker off and no more rotted skis

My 2021 GTI SE was in the water for 60 days last year in the St Lawrence River. The ride plate is so corroded already it will probably fall off in a couple of years. I’ve got a call into Sea Doo They haven’t gotten back to me and it’s been a month.

Attachments

• 0B98F51D-7C59-49BF-AA37-AA3F26DC52CC.jpeg
    0B98F51D-7C59-49BF-AA37-AA3F26DC52CC.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I’ve had a Yamaha jetboat for 12 years, been using it in the San Francisco Bay, but stored out of water on a jet dock. Recently acquired a Seadoo LRV and want to install a zinc. Where should I install it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back