2021 GTX 170 or 230?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullybear_123

Looking into pre ordering either a Seadoo GTX 170 or 230 in the next couple weeks. Still undecided on wether I want the 170 or the 230. Love the colour way on the 2021 230 model but I’m not sure if that will be too much power for me.

Anyone out there get a 170 last year? How’d you like it?

Would love to hear anyone’s opinion on both models.

I purposely bought a new 2019 GTX155 because I didn't want a first year engine. The 170 may be fine, but since the 155 had been around for years and had proven to be a great engine, I chose it. I have not been disappointed in its performance. Also, it sips fuel. I stayed away from the 230 as it is supercharged. The supercharger requires more maintenance, which means more money. I do not need that kind of speed as I bought the GTX for touring and fishing, not for speed. It all comes down to how you plan to use your ski.

Personally, I don't get why someone would buy a 230 when they could buy a 300. IMO, if you want supercharged speed, get the most available. And if you're in the US, your top speed will be limited, so to take full advantage of the HP, you'll need a SCOM.

In my over 500 hours of riding, there were very few times when riding conditions allowed for maintained speeds over 65 mph.

I've ridden a SCOM'd RXTX 300 and sure, it's fun - I hit 74 mph - but that was just a short run. The vast majority of riding was between 45-60 mph, which most non supercharged skis can do.

I was in the same boat as you as I sold my 2016 spark in June and wanted a GTX170. My buddy that has a 2019 Wake230 (same jetski as the GTX230 with some accessories for towing) told me to get a GTI 130 instead. Since they were no 130 available I went with I a GTR230

Since we know both I am glad I went this way and here is why:

The advantage of the ST3 hull [GTX) Vs Polytech 2(GTR/GTI) is:
Access to storage while seated ( easier as you don t have to stand up)
Slightly more comfortable in choppy water

The advantage of the Polytech hull (GTI/GTR)
The storage is significantly bigger on the GTI/GTR hull which is an important factor for us as we do a lot of camping trip.
The Polytech is way less fragile when you beach your jet ski and you do not have to search for rock underneath.
The GTI/GTR hull is way more precise for your trajectory and turn quicker.
The phone storage compartment is way bigger and you can have 4 small bottle of water, maps etc...
for the price of a GTX170 you have a GTR 230 with sound.

as far as 230 vs 170. We just bought a GTI170 last week.
you definitely see the difference in acceleration. In speed the GTI does 54 while the GTR only do 60. We live at 5200 feet thus while the speed is reduced. When we go to 4000 feet we see a 1 to 2 MPH increase.
when we race my friend with his wake 230 I accelerate quicker but then he follow me as we reach the same top speed
By the way I wanted a GTX170 and my friend that just bought a Wake230 told me to get a GTI170 since they were none available I went with the GTR and I am glad I went this way

I got a 2021 GTX limited 300 and on my second out with about 3 hours on the clock it died. Luckily I had a buddy with me who was kind enough to tow me back to shore .. very disappointed and angry about this top of the line machine doing this. Have been in touch with the dealer and they are closed due to long weekend and will get back to me on Tuesday. All my fun plans to explore Ontario on this beautiful Victoria Day weekend are now up in flames …It seems it’s an IFF issue —— BRP needs to sort out this IDF issue NOW !!!!!!

Attachments

• 99EB6101-9F59-4CF3-9310-29FC1A5B224D.jpeg
    99EB6101-9F59-4CF3-9310-29FC1A5B224D.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 597A3E7A-B2B9-4254-B97A-90B5B6D736DE.jpeg
    597A3E7A-B2B9-4254-B97A-90B5B6D736DE.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 14
after a year with the GTR 230 here are the plus and minus
-The storage is great. better than the GTX
-The gas mileage is not as good as the GTX I think it is due to the Polytech
-The speed is one mile slower. same as to be the Polytech with not as a smooth finish
-When fully loaded it is not super stable as the hull is smaller than the GTX. I am talking over 400 lbs
-I like the hull as it is less concern than a GTX hull for beaching
-On choppy water it is way less comfortable than the ST3 hull

after 80+ hours it does 59MPH at 5000MPH could be the few scratches on the hull or wear on the wear ring

in the mean time I bought a RXP300. it is way faster way more precise and way more comfortable. storage is the the same.

we also order a GTX170 with the rear deck extension. I think for camping it will be great

I have a gtx155 , and it's fast enough. Don't need the headaches after 100hrs. that everyone seems to have with rebuilding the SC. Seems like a high wear item. I'd take one if I got a good deal a SC ski though. A 230 would be a lot of fun for sure, you'd never have to go any faster. Just don't wipe out, or they'll be trying to put you back together.

I don't think a 230 will be "too much" power, however, it does have the supercharger and all the maintenance that is entailed by that.

If the throttle response seems too punchy you can always use eco mode on the supercharged model. Personally I think modes are weird, and I just want a linear throttle response (like was on the older 4-tecs).

I don't think a 230 will be "too much" power, however, it does have the supercharger and all the maintenance that is entailed by that.

If the throttle response seems too punchy you can always use eco mode on the supercharged model. Personally I think modes are weird, and I just want a linear throttle response (like was on the older 4-tecs).
I don't think it would be too much power, probably about as much as you really need. I'd get the fastest one they make, if money wasn't a problem, you could always ride it slow.lol

I have a 2021 170 and went in this direction because of a number of factors.
1) I had a Yamaha SVHO for a month last year to flip and see how they rode. The amount of time spent over 50 MPH was about 1% of ride time.
2) I suspect gas prices will be going up and did not want to have to pay premium prices.
3) This summer I logged several long trips and it was nice getting 110+ miles out of a fill up.
4) With the front storage of the Yamaha, which is similar to the GTI, I did not like having to stand on my head trying to get something out of the bottom of the front storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back