2016 SEADOO RXP-X 300 Not Starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

NMASQUINE

Good Day,

I have a 2016 Seadoo RXP 300, it had salt water damage on the Intercooler and Throttle, I bought the ski from a friend,
Plugged into CANDOO Pro and had several errors listed below:
- P060E
- P106E
- P1615
- P1619
- P1620
- P1622

Most of these were active so i decided to physically check the Throttle body, both the throttle body and intercooler were full of salt (the previous owner confessed later that he never flushed the jet after use in Salt water, he used it like this for a whole year),

I tried to clean the TB but it was pretty stiff, after cleaning it a bit the Jet would start only with the Intercooler pipe disconnected from the Throttle body, it started but wouldn't rev properly and the errors were still there as active,

So, I bought a new Intercoller and a new Throttle body, fitted to the jet and the errors went all from "ACTIVE" to "OCCURED", did a faults clear and no more errors,

But the Jet does not start, it cranks and cranks but wont start,
I check bellow:
- Fuel Pump - Working with Pressure, OK
- New Spark Plugs - checked each one for sparks when cracking the engine, all OK
- Removed the pipe that comes from the intercooler to the TB and after several tries it started but when I put the pipe back on it wont start
- Airbox cleaned
- A friend told me to do a TPS Reset on the CANDOO PRO, Did it and it reads around 7 to 8%SEADOO RXP 300 Supercharger to Intercooler outlet.jpgSEADOO RXP 300 Intercooler interior.jpegSEADOO RXP 300  Intercooler to TB pipe.jpegSEADOO RXP 300 TB.JPEG

I noticed also that when I take the plugs out, there is a bit of liquid, seems like water, but there is no coloration,

At this point I do not know what else I need to do or Check,
I have attached some videos and photos

I need assistance,

Thanks & Best Regards

I noticed that you didn't mention the oil at all.
If there is water in the oil, it will foul the plug as soon as you crank it.
Plugs are a critical item on modern ski's and just a little H2O will screw them up.

I noticed that you didn't mention the oil at all.
If there is water in the oil, it will foul the plug as soon as you crank it.
Plugs are a critical item on modern ski's and just a little H2O will screw them up.

Dear @CanAmFlyer , thanks for the reply, new oil and new oil filter, when I changed the oil there was no water residue on the old oil, it was pretty dark and old, very thick also,

Check the supercharger and do a compression check to start with
Spray some XPS or WD40 in plug holes and get all the water out

we have already put the spray on the spark plug hole, we will check the compression
@gazzaskirepair

thanks for the quick reply,

With regards to the supercharger, on the outlet that goes to the Intercooler there is no air coming out when we crank the motor, I believe that we should get airflow from the supercharger through the Intercooler to the Throttle body correct?

I have also sprayed some anti-rust lubricant into de supercharger inlet from the air filter,
even when I put my hand on the air inlet at the airbox, you can't feel any suction when you crank the engine,

Regards,

There’s is clutch on it so my guess is the engine is running and overriding the clutch that’s why it’s difficult to start
I had this awhile back on two different skis
One was bearing failure other was caked up with salt between impeller and housing

Sounds like you're going to have to replace your intercooler and throttle body. If it's the 1503cc engine, rebuild the supercharger (just on principle). If it's the newer 1600cc motor, just pull it and check it. If they ran salt through the intake, chances are the supercharger vanes are corroded. They could come apart and get sucked into your engine. There is a chance your intercooler is okay, but you should do a pressure test on it. It should hold 10-15 psi indefinitely. You can pressurize the water jacket. You will have to get creative with how to do this. I built a pressure-regulated gauge where I can allow air slowly past a regulator. It has a shut-off valve and a gauge on the tip. I use it for pressure testing things as well as reading pop-off pressures on old carburetors. Very handy tool :)

There’s is clutch on it so my guess is the engine is running and overriding the clutch that’s why it’s difficult to start
I had this awhile back on two different skis
One was bearing failure other was caked up with salt between impeller and housing

So this Clutch is inside the Supercharger?

1574253127513.png

Item 15
You should be able to spin supercharger by hand

There is a special spanner to hold the driver gear and rotate nut 24 to check the clutch slippage
You need a dial type torque wrench to see at what torque it slips
But for you right now impeller should just be able to spin freely

It sounds like you have some left over water somewhere in your intake system. The intake manifold will hold a lot of water after the ic leaks. Your intake manifold or inlet hoses are probably sucking in water when you try to start it which is why you see the water droplets on the plugs. Remove the intake manifold and clean it. This is why it won't start and even if it does it won't run worth a crap because as soon as you rev it, it gets a healthy gulp of more leftover saltwater. All those hoses full of corrosion will need to be perfectly clean and many times it's just easier to replace than spend hours trying to clean out the inside of the hoses. The entire air intake system from airbox to head needs to be pristine.

As mentioned above, your sc is probably a mess and will most likely need rebuilt. Pull it and take pics, we will give our opinions on next steps.

I've fixed a whole bunch just like yours so the good news is that the engine normally survives fine and will run well for many future years once you get all the issues fixed/replaced. Now you have first hand experience on why it is important to flush the engine after saltwater use.

Last edited:
Your intake manifold is probably still full of water and sucking in water when you try to start it which is why you see the water droplets on the plugs. Remove the intake manifold and clean. This is why it won't start and even if it does it won't run worth a crap because as soon as you rev it, it gets a healthy gulp of leftover saltwater.

As mentioned above, your sc is probably a mess and will most likely need rebuilt. Pull it and take pics, we will give our opinions on next steps.

I've fixed a whole bunch just like yours so the good news is that the engine normally survives fine and will run well for many future years once you get all the issues fixed/replaced. Now you have first hand experience on why it is important to flush the engine after saltwater use.

@ski-d00 thanks for the reply,
I always flush, wash and spray some WD-40 or DWF all over, on this one the old owner didn't even know what flushing is,

I will try and get all the water out and also pull the Supercharger out,

Thanks,

If you take the supercharger outlet hose (the higher of the two ) start engine and you should have air blowing out of supercharger but you could be doing more damage

If you take the supercharger outlet hose (the higher of the two ) start engine and you should have air blowing out of supercharger but you could be doing more damage

@gazzaskirepair I did that and had some air and then no air and the some air again, but no pressure what so ever, one of the times that it started, I had disconnected the Throttle body hose that comes from the Intercooler and when the engine was working you could feel the air in good quantity coming from the intercooler,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back